I'm curious to know if any of you are using Scratch in your classrooms. I'm experimenting with it in the computer lab and would love to hear stories/ideas! I read some of the previous posts about it. Any updates?

Views: 651

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've been using Scratch with my sixth grade students this year. I spend about four class periods showing them the basics and having them make simple little applications, using the scratch cards from the scratch website to start. After that each student plans a more complex game and makes it over about eight class periods. The students have really impressed me with their ambitious ideas and complex implementation. Many of their projects are posted to the scratch website, tagged with ucls (school initials):
http://scratch.mit.edu/tags/view/ucls
It is pretty amazing what the kids can do. Our 4-6th grade kids have done some great things using Alice, too.
Currently I teach 7th/8th graders basic computer skills.

I split 9 weeks into halves, 1/2 StarLogo TNG, 1/2 Scratch. I did StarLogo first as its harder, they found Scratch easy after doing StarLogo -- however, some complained about Scratch's lack of features, (StarLogo TNG is 3d and has far more interactive programming blocks).

Carl
My 5th grade technology classes used SCRATCH in the fall this year. Many were fascinated with it and formed a group that still come to me once per week to work on projects. I wll be presenting what we did in classes and the "club" this summer at the first Scratch conference at MIT. Here is a link that shows how I organized it using Scratch with six 5th grade technology classes. http://isurff5th.wikispaces.com/Scratch+Images
I made six sets of the cards and laminated cards on color-coded construction kept in a verticle file for easy student access. Scratch Sheets (shown in the pictures) were for record keeping and student reflections. We emphasized "variables" for 5th grade science - very helpful for the new science concept/terms. Students included their experiences for language arts on wiki pages. One 5th grade teacher even featured Scratch terms for her spelling-lang arts lessons for the week.

We would love to trade ideas with other students/classes/teachers. I wish I had seen this sooner!
CORRECTION to the student link above. Please go to: http://isurffer-friends.wikispaces.com/Scratch+Reflection
No sScratch .. but an EToys project here - http://kindlelab.com
Just coming back from ACM SIG CSE 2008 in Portland, and spent some time with the Scratch team. I definitely plan to use Scratch in our computer lab / computer clubs coming up where our target is students 9 years to 14 years. They're really liking Alice v2 so far even down into the lower grades. The drag-and-drop statements piece is wonderful and a common link between Alice and Scratch. Squeak / EToys is interesting but with a much steeper learning curve whereas you can more or less turn students loose with Scratch to teach each other after about 15 minutes of demo.
The piece that is missing for me, and I've mentioned it here before, is the assessment piece. I really don't want to assess the kids but I want a checklist that shows me they are moving through advanced stages without getting stuck or quitting when it gets too hard. If you develop a skills checklist be sure to let me know---thanks. N
Hi!
After piloting another program for a bit on Windows, I found this Scratch on the Internet one day - all I can say is WOW. I would love to build curriculum around it for either one of a variety of core subjects - math, science, tech. If anyone is interested or has mentioned it already count me in! Perhaps we can open up a wiki to create and share..
Blanca
You are on. I put up the beginnings of a Scratch page on this wiki.

I've been working with Scratch in a k-6 school for three years, starting out as one of the beta test sites. I use it as one of the ways kids can show what they've learned, such as doing an animated book report, integrating projects with other subjects. It would be great to collect project ideas on the wiki, plus samples of assignments/rubrics/lesson plans, or anything else.

I know people have done some of this making their own web collections, but I haven't run into a place yet that gathers it all together. If anyone knows if this is already happening somewhere else, chime in.
I used Scratch with my seventh graders this year to create an educational game that teaches a language arts concept. Students started by walking through the tutorials on MITs website. Then, students modified an existing Scratch game in order to get the hang of the functions of the program. Some students used the modified version as a starting point and others created a game from nothing.

When the project was complete, students raved about how much they enjoyed using the technology. They were amazed at how much reading the directions carefully helped them. They also learned about their LA concept. Overall, it was successful. I haven't uploaded any of their games yet to the website, but I will attempt to do that next week.
I am currently using Scratch with my high school media students. They are enjoying the challenge of building games and animations with it.

Wish there were more lesson plans being shared out there.

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service