I am in charge of 16 classrooms, across grades 4, 5 and 6 (8 to 12 year olds). I am researching what blog program to go with. I have not like edublog.org because it is frustrating for teachers and students to sign in. I have heard about classblogmeister, but that it was archaic. I have looked into 21classes.com, and am looking into its pricing issues. I want a place that can organize the blogs starting with by grade - then into teachers. I would like to later give the students their own blog site within that program. I would like for their blogs to be reorganized each year according to their grade level (since the students see all the teachers).
My school also serves students as young as 3 year olds. The other Technology Coaches are interested in bringing blogs into their teachers' classrooms. So maybe this site would house the whole school, about 60 teachers and about 400 students. I will start small first with 16 teachers max, and 210 students added around the December break.

Tags: blog, elementary, student

Views: 194

Replies to This Discussion

I had to smile when you said you were starting small with 16 teachers and 210 students. Sounds big to me.

I know what you mean with Edublogs. It gets easier the more you use it however. I do wish it had drop-down menus. I've been reading blogs for a while and I doubt if there's anything as useful and flexible and free. :-) Let me know if you come across something.
I have had huge success using blogger. I use it for our class blog and 4th graders have easily set up their own blogs using it. Check out our class blog: http://melissafishersacademy.blogspot.com/
Hope this helps.
Your blog is wonderful! It appears that each of your students chose (or was assigned) the name of a president to use as their screen name. How did you handle that? What a wonderful idea! What a fun way to keep your students secure on the internet! Thanks for sharing your blog.
LC,
Thanks so much for the link to get rid of the "NEXT BLOG" option on Blogger. I've used it and I'm sharing it with other teachers who use Blogger too.
Melissa
Check out Edublogs again. They have improved their dashboard. They've also made it easier to make multiple blogs ie for classes of students. They still don't have drop-down menus however.
A wonderful site that you can create blogs on is blogmiester.com You can sign up your school. It is free. You will receive a password and instruction on creating the blogs. Hope this was helpful!

Stacy
I have been using Classblogmeister with my class for a year now and helped several other teachers in our school set up theirs too. There have been improvements to blogmeister this year so if you haven't looked in a while it may be worth another look. One great thing about Blogmeister is how easy it is to move the students from one class to the next at the start of a new school year. We have students from K - 7 blogging at our school (not all classes). Feel free to visit my class blog and also look at the attached student blog pages.
With Blogger I think the cyber safety aspect is harder to control than blogmeister and edublogs where you cn set up the blogs so that posts and comments have to be approved by the teacher before viewing on their pages.
If you have any other questions you can email me: mrslowesclass@gmail.com
http://classblogmeister.com/blog.php?blogger_id=98041
I have a meeting tomorrow with our webmaster who wants for the students here to use a private blogger that comes with the school's website's capabilities. I am wanting to use a real blog site with the older students for real world practice and joining others in cyberspace. I feel that using this locked down school blog will only keep us talking to ourselves. Does anyone else have any feedback on the positives of using a blog site that is not locked down for others to read and comment?
What about a social network that supports blogging? I was looking into imbee, which is free and for younger kids.
I like WordPressMU. It is an multiple user WordPress allowing all the controls and extensibility that you will need. It is free and open source. The only expense will be housing it on a server which can be done in house or through very inexpensive rented shared webhosting account.

I have blogged extensively about WPMU for use in school.
Our class blog A Really Different Place was done with Drupal (open source), what I like about it is that all the student blogs are on one site and I can monitor everybody. Each day I go to Recent Posts, see who's written what and respond. We also have the option to have RSS news feed and a place to post student written books.

I have been using www.teacherblogit.com   I have used wordpress and 21classes--this is the easiest free platform I have ever found for students and the teacher!

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service