SO let me start by saying I love reading about teaching and kids.

So I've gathered a list of the books I have in hope that someone out there will take a look at it and think "I have that book......I thought this was interesting...." or I wonder what he thinks about pg. 97...." stuff like that.

The thing is that I really like the idea of discussing ideas and thoughts in professional literature but have no one to do it with really.

So consider this an invitation!!!!

---Is there something small you want to bring up about something in one of these books?

---DO you want a long distance reading buddy?

---Do you want to help start a group that talks about all things teaching in any way?

I personally am totally open to a quick question/ reference/ discussion or even something more intense. By the way....please know I certainly haven't read ALL of these books!!!! My mother is a teacher and I have stolen a lot of these from her. BUT.......if you think I should read one.....LET ME KNOW WOULD YA?!?!?

ANy takers?

My list is attached....

Come join!!!

Tags: book, books, club, collaboration, discussion, literature, math, professional, reading, science, More…technology, writing

Views: 29

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

That is quite a list and a great resource.
Just scanning through:

I have referenced a few that looked at using picture books for teaching writing. Even though my students are 11 and 12 year olds, they still like to hear and see a good picture book and then I can use that interest to launch into some writing activities.

I do reference The First Six Weeks of School (from Responsive Classroom) in the week before the start of every new school year, just to get my head together with some of the community values that I want to see reflected in my classroom and some structure for starting the year. I also pull out Wong's First Days of School (for same reasons).

I have some friends recommending Three Cups of Tea, but I haven't gotten there yet. Right now, I am in the midst of The World is Flat. Another book on your list that has been on my list, but never gotten to, is Frank McCourt's memoir of teaching.

For technology, I would add Will Richardson's Blogs, Wikis, Podcasting, and Other Powerful Web Tools as a must-read for teachers trying to get a handle on the Web 2.0 World.

Take care
Kevin
Great idea... I look forward to taking part in a discussion!
Great. Thanks for joining! Look forward to sharing some insights to books.
Looks like a fabulous list. I have had several substantive discussions on "The World is Flat" with my RL book club. I would love to discuss it with a more geographically diverse group, particularly the implications for education. I am looking forward to this group and its potential.
I just got done with a masters level course where that was the main text. Great book for discussion. Looking forward to hearing some thoughts from you...
One book I found very thought provoking was Breaking the Silence Principal mistreatment of teachers
by Blase and Blase published by Corwin Press. Has anyone else read it? I have strongly recommended it to colleagues in similar situations with a principal that bullies staff. It makes you feel less 'alone' in a very bad situation. If you know anyone that is having a bad time..... get them the book. They will thank you.
Thank you, Linda. I need to read this book, and it happened to me 10 years ago... I'm still not fully recovered, maybe this will help. I'll let you know!
Honestly, I am just finishing my teacher's cert and have not yet read or heard of many of these books. I will however be looking into many of them and tuning into the discussions.

Thanks for the references!

Sara
There are so many great books out there for teachers. A great book is called "Fair Isn't Always Equal" by Rick Wormeli. It will open your eyes to different grading practices and why "fair isn't always equal."

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service