Robotics may not sound like it belongs in a web 2.0 network, but I hope that learning and sharing about it does. Conducting a search of robotics on CR2.0 produced no results today, so I am calling out to you. I wonder if robotics is an area to pursue for an elementary school computer lab or computer club environment.

I am taking on many new exciting projects this year and I want to see if it is feasible to consider this too.
There is so much out there, but this network has so many voices of experience. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Tags: robotics

Views: 82

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We've used Lego's Mindstorms for about 10 years in our gifted program, usually with 5-6th graders. I've gotten the kits/software/ IR towers, etc. through grants, it is rather pricey. They have a whole new line that looks wonderful called Lego NXT My kids love it, all of our high schools now have Robotics teams--the district just recognized Robotics coaches as deserving of supplemental pay--same as the sports coaches!!

Hint: If you are considering Robotics--not more than four and preferable three on a team, which means you need a lot of kits for a classroom. Let me know if you want any other advice. N.
UPDATE--I ended up writing and receiving a $4000.00 grant and bought 8 kits (2 kids per kit), 2 bonus kits with extra pieces and the Carnegie Mellon Robotics Engineering curriculum. We started aboout 6 weeks ago (one day a week) and the 5th graders L-O-V-E Robotics!!
I'm not too familiar at all with robotics but you might want to use A.I. (artificial intelligence) technology with your students. Really stimulating and Dr. Wallace at ALICE has done a good job promoting the technology. Go here to chat without voice, with a "bot" Or here, you can do the same thingwith voice, with DAVE but it is a paid service.

I'd use it with elementary students to motivate and increase their language arts skills. Also they can interview a bot and then perform...many creative uses.

David
http://eflclassroom.ning.com
Robotics is certainly in the spirit of Classroom 2.0 - authentic, student-centered, and project-based. The fact that it's not dependent on bandwidth or net connections or getting permissions for things may make it even better. You can get classroom sets that help with the cost, but it's still not free. Maybe parents would help kick in - I'm sure they would see it as a worthwhile investment.

A resource you can explore is Gary Stager's website section on robotics and Lego. It's got project ideas, challenges for kids, and a section on what to purchase for classes.

He's got some videos too on doing robotics with young children. It is well worth doing!
Thank you Nancy, David and Sylvia, You have given me wonderful resources to reseach! We are fortunate to have great parents, PTA, and administration who are all supportive of technology.
JoNelle, there are also a lot of grants out there that will support this sort of learning (look for STEM key words -- science, technology, engineering, and mathematics). Ask your local grant-writer for help, but I think there is a lot of value in having students of all ages learn how to work with this engaging, hands-on type of problem solving. I used it as an extention of a simple machines unit for 5-6th graders. Then I had those students split apart and be advisors for teams of 8th graders, who'd never worked with robots before. I stood back and made sure the advisors didn't get too involved. It was a terrific lesson all around! :) All I did was create the challenges, the timelines, and helped to lead the after-discussions. The kids did all the learning on their own!

Good luck with this!
Ginger, Thank you- I have one more grant that I can submit to DonorsChoose ( they limit you to three per teacher) and this may be it. I used the simple machines Lego kits yrs ago with gifted classes and loved it. I am so glad you supplied the comparison for me - I feel more confident that I can handle this. Thanks for the tips too.
I was just reading over the posts and thought I would add my two cents. I used the mindstorms with principles of technology students with good outcomes. I was introduced to the idea through KSU Robot League. You can get more info at http://kansasrobotleague.org/

They used to offer a free kit to classroom teachers willing to use them in class.
Is anyone using NXT with 3-4th graders. I am launching a program with girls this winter. I used to use Robolab and need some ideas using the new software.
Thanks
We bought the curriculum from Carnegie Mellon called Robotics Engineering 1 (in the Pitsco catalog). I don't "teach" robotics (I let the kids figure it out) but the curriculum provided introductory powerpoints to share with class and beautiful video/audio movies for the kids. The kids really have a great foundation from doing the first six challenges. We found the investigations too advanced and time consuming for gifted 5th graders so we didn't do them, we just did the challenges. The curriculum is expensive, we got it through a grant, but I feel like it's helped really give the kids the basics and they are ready to move on to the competitions. The NXT system rocks! Let me know if you need any other advice. N
I use a great program called Robot Arena2. It's made by InfoGrames. There's also a program on the web called Robot Rage.

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service