Why do School Curricula Ignore the History of Computing and the Internet?

(Cross-posted on my blog).

I was struck by this question at a recent visit to the Computer History Museum in Mountain View, CA. Kitty-corner from the famed headquarters of Google in Mt. View, this museum currently proudly houses the Charles Babbage Difference Engine in addition to countless other artifacts that help the visitor trace the timeline of computer history and are a testimony to human ingenuity and inventiveness in the field of digital technologies through the last 6 or so decades.

The 2 hours my sons and I spent tracing the history of computers and computing (and the Internet to lesser extent) were mesmerizing - not just for me but my sons (aged 12 and 9) as well. There is obviously that thrill of watching the sizes (and prices) of computers go down as their computing power and storage capabilities shoot up exponentially; but the stories behind the early innovations are fascinating as well. (I think the kicks I got may have had a little to do with the fact that I have programmed the DEC VAX in my early days as a programmer and used the PDP-11 in my undergrad days as a student of computer science. The sight of punch cards brought back waves of long-forgotten memories - of their use as flashcards for memorizing GRE word lists :))

I was reminded of my question once again yesterday when I chanced on a video of Ethan Zuckerman explaining the history of the Internet in about 5 mins - see below. (I think this one betters the earlier history of the Internet video I posted on this blog about half a year ago).

Agreed - the fact that I have always been fascinated by the history of Computers, Computing and the Internet may have a little to do with the fact that I have used computers for about 25 years now - I did my undergrad in Computer Science from BITS Pilani, India in the mid-eighties, and then was exposed to the Internet during my graduate studies in the US in the BBS, usenet and gopher "pre-browser" days of the early 90s.

That said, given how pervasive these machines are in our lives today, I think everyone, and kids especially, would be just as fascinated by the history of how computing, computers and the internet crept into our lives - starting with the code breakers used by governments during WWII; the work of research universities such as MIT; DARPA; the big mainframes; the pioneering work of organizations such as IBM; the birth of personal computers; Microsoft, Apple; supercomputers (the slideshow above has some pictures of the Cray as well); and finally CERN, hypertext, the World Wide Web and Google; iPods; video games; and seemingly limitless data storage capabilities...

Children are taught about many important discoveries, inventions and innovations in the course of their regular curriculum in Science and Social Studies. The rationale being that history teaches us about what man has done and thus what man is; and also helps kids understand change and societal development. Computers, Computing, the Internet and the World Wide Web rarely ever get the billing they deserve in school curricula today, despite that fact that these kids' lives are so hugely influenced by the use of computers and the Internet. I am convinced that our kids who are so familiar with names like Microsoft, Apple, Intel, Google, Yahoo, Sun (to a lesser extent), Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Larry Page and Sergei Brin; so familiar with the idea of computers and with the use of computers deserve to know and be aware about innovations in computers, the evolution of these technologies, and the people and organizations that laid the foundation for the work of Gates, Jobs, Page and Brin.

And while they're at it, I think they should also learn the basics of boolean logic, binary number systems and why silicon valley is christened thus :)

Anyway, here's Ethan Zuckerman's entertaining video on the History of the Internet...Enjoy!

Tags: computers, computing, history, internet

Views: 71

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think that you bring up a great point! Either include history of computing and the internet in a history class or in a computer class. I love the slide show that you included.
you could include it in a physics class as well
Shuchi, you make a great point, I used to teach an Intro to Computers course in high school 10 years ago and history of computers was in there - when an updated curriculum came out it was removed and not picked up in any other courses, I guess the felt their were too many other things to cover but how can students appreciate how far we've come in such a short period of time if they aren't exposed to the history of computers?

I don't know if you have seen Triumph of the Nerds, from PBS, it chronicles the rise of the PC since the 1970's to the mid-90's and shows how young Bill Gates and Steve Jobs built their companies. I really enjoyed and have shown to grade 11/12 computer science students (too long and in-depth for younger students though).
Incidentally there are several awesome videos on the history of computers on the Computer History Museums's channel on youtube.
Thanks, Erin & Greg! Erin, I agree - either the History or the Tech classes could cover some of these interesting stories. Greg, thanks so much for the link to Triumph of the Nerds. It's a fabulous resource which I had not seen before (although I do wander over to I, Cringely occasionally).
Watched "Triumph of the Nerds" - in 18 parts (6 parts for each of the 3 parts of the series) on youtube :)
I'd be interested to know who/how the school curriculum is determined. Seems to me, from going through my sons years of school with him that the public system has an 'old school' way of thinking.
Your point was well taken here. Cheers. Will
world of warcraft accounts

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service