You can use this forum to introduce yourself or ask a question.

Views: 519

Replies to This Discussion

I know probably less than you but I have been attending a KQED (PBS station in San Francisco) technology program and have learned a couple things that can be applied to science. One thing we have done is use Google Earth or Google Maps (we used this) to create maps of trails around Mt Diablo. We used a flip camera footage, online photos and pamphlet information to tag places along the trail map( Google Maps or terrestrial setting) with video, photos and captions. This is something students can easily do and engages the less academic students.
I have setup a Ning for currents events that the students join and now are using 1. the groups option for lab groups discussion (selected membership) and 2. forum categories to answer critical thinking questions or respond to editorials in an open discussion format. I have attached videos and converted powerpoints to jpeg, and then placed on the ning as photos in an album. When the students open the ning, I then have a slideshow on view that looks like a basic powerpoint. I have embedded quizlet formatted quizzes (or linked them) for the students to use.
I hope this is making sense.
The good news is if I can do this, someone like you would find it easy to do.
I hope this is something you can use. I know it is basic stuff, but was touched by your audience, location and extent of teaching. I teach both CORE (English, History) and science.
take care
Janet
Hello! I am new to this and technology is NOT one of my strengths, but I sure do want to learn. Our administration is encouraging us to explore the use of cell phones in the classroom. I work on Saturdays (2nd job) so cannot attend online discussions. Is that Saturday lesson about cell phones available as an archive?
And I'm asking my administration to host a classroom workshop in my area.
Debra Clark, ESOL teacher
Dalton High School
Dalton, GA 30720
I do not know how to locate the beginner series seminars. I have attended about three of the webinars that I have had an invitation to, but they were general webinars on using technology in the classroom, widgets and applications of digital storytelling.
Where do I locate the archive on the beginner series, and how to I request the RSS feed to have the invite to them when new ones are offered?
Secondly, I need basic info on Wikis and widgets.
Widgets: I have been creating Nings, and now want to add widgets that I create, or add widgets from third parties that do not require my divulging the emails of my students. I know you need a URL address to get the embed code, but I have no idea how a teacher can do that. I have no idea what gayle ? is.
Wikis: I am familiar with what you can do with Wikis have been invited onto one and have used it. If I create an account, I have been told that the students need not enter their email to use it, but can all join with a user name and password. I don't understand this.
If you have the time to help this lost soul, I would appreciate it, but do understand the limits of one' s time.
HO HO HO
I have just started exploring wiki's. I am set up as the owner or control person on the wiki. I then assigned usernames and passwords to each of my students. I had to add a word to their names because a name like John is already in use by someone else somewhere on wikispaces.com. You could use sciencejohn or sciclassjohn or something about your school name. I gave each student the same password - like 'mywiki'. You could opt for more personal ones. You can also be the one to change that password should you need to block someone or keep it more secure. They can log in, add pages, make changes to any page, and even email within the wiki account. They are trustworthy and only 10 years old, so I am not having problems with that. I was able to use excel (where I already had class lists) to list their names and passwords and then upload them as a class group. No extra typing or need to enter the users one by one. I did try it with a small group of users at first just to see how it would work out. If you have laptops in class, then I would recommend making a wiki for just one period of kids, watch it get used during a class period, and then add other class sections as you see how it works out. The kids are great at finding all the bells and whistles and loophole you can't predict on your own. Have fun! PS Most of them were so 'tickled' to be trying it that they spend hours at home posing discussion questions and adding page about topics of interest to them. WEB 2.0 is definitely all about how your 'take AND give' to the internet.
Wow, thanks janine, i just start using wikispaces, i will use my wiki in my training class. your experience and explanation is really help me how to assign my audience,,, thank a lot janine... appreciate for that..
Thanks so much.
You explained it so well. Will try it out after break.
Janet
Hi, I'm Leslie, and I am hoping this site can help me find the best methods of reaching out to the digital natives and translate between the natives and we digital immigrants. I work at the low-end of the educational spectrum (PK--5), but I feel we need to really grab the kids interests and understand what they know at that level to help them as they advance to the upper grades. I am currently working on getting my Capstone certification in the NET*S from ISTE, and I hope I'll be able to find helpful information and answers here, too.

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service