I need some good advice.

Ever since I lost a term paper I was working on for one of my college classes during a thunderstorm, I learned the importance of backing up files. I must brag and tell you that I'm pretty good at sticking with that fundamental rule.

I have been through the migration of saving to hard drives, floppy discs, zip discs, and now CDs. Our district has set up U Drives for each employee, and it works GREAT! I now back up to my U Drive and not only rest comfortably knowing my data is stored on the District' servers, but I can access my U Drive from anywhere in the district, so essentially every computer anywhere I go withing the system, becomes "mine", if I need it.

But I DO continue to have a REAL PROBLEM and I hope someone can offer me some real world, useable advice:

I CAN NEVER REMEMBER WHAT I NAMED A FILE OR WHERE I FILED IT!

I spend (waste) too much time searching for files that I know I saved, but don't remember what I called them. I have tried alphabetical (but you still have to remember the first word), dates (but who remembers WHEN they wrote a certain memo, etc.

The best I've come up with is to file by year. At least I get closer faster if I can remember what year it was written. But I spent way too much time last week looking for a report I wrote about Community Service Projects in 1998. (It was under Shannon Contracts in the 2001 file.)

I need a better system.

As I go paperless, this will be a real concern, because instead of pulling open a certain drawer and looking through a certain stack (and I am the king of finding bits of paper in stacks), I will have to remember when and where I filed something...what did I name it? Why did I name it that?

This is a very real problem for me, and to me, one of the major disincentives for going paperless. But I am determined to forge ahead...

Any suggestions??

Views: 20

Replies to This Discussion

Oh boy...I am really not sure that I should say much here...I am talking with very little real knowledge...

However, I have been wondering the same thing and I wonder if tagging is of any help? I am definitely a newbie but have been trying...
This was a huge problem for me as well until I started using google docs. The tagging is more brain based than the traditional one doc, one file system. I give items multiple tags and have an easier time finding it. The search is not bad also.

You may also want to check out www.unclutterer.com. It's a blog about organization. They give you tips on keeping your files lean and avoiding "digital clutter". One that I find to be the most difficult is the occassional purge but sometimes you just gotta let things go.

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service