As an open source software, Moodle is free, but I'm curious how much it costs as far as installation, training and staff time at schools. Certainly Moodle can "work" for the districts that use it by adding an enterprise component (I'm familiar with schools that use Moodle to produce revenue through professional development and online high school courses, etc.)--which I think will be more common in the next few years. But for the typical installation what are the real costs?

My estimation for year 1:
Server: $500-$2000
Installation/Server configuration time: 2-5 hours
Administrative Duties (course/user creation/role assignment): 40 hours
Course Creation: 10-25 hours per course
Professional development/training: 5-10 hours per teacher

The great thing about Moodle though is that the costs decrease quickly after the installation...with the right training teachers are able to help their colleagues get up and running and share resources already built in.

Would any one be willing to share their comments or to add "costs" associated with getting Moodle up and running? I'm very interested in helping schools understand what's entailed and how to plan for better implementation.

Tags: costs, implementation, moodle, training

Views: 10

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service