I only have 12 laptops to work with. We are getting another 4 in a few months. The problem is that my 1-4 grades have 20-24 kids. The older grades have from 14-16. So I do not have enough computers. I didn't know this going in, I know it seems silly that I didn't ask that question!
The first week I had the kids share, 2nd did it pretty well, 1st not so good. 3rd and 4th did OK, the problem going forward is how I am going to present lessons. I took to heart the chapter on Classroom Management. I don't want to break the class up into two session because that would give me only 20 min each, plus the teachers don't want to do that. I thought of giving the students not using the computer a worksheet to do, then halfway switch but again that cuts into instruction time.
That leaves having the students share the computer while they learn what I am teaching. I am struggling with how I do this effectively.

I find this a real challenge and I am not sure how to tackle this. I am working with the principal and teachers, right now I have asked to pair the students for me and I will have them share. I tried taking turns with tasks. Student one works, then student two does the next task.
Right now trial and error seems how I am going to proceed, not a great plan.

Any thoughts or experiences you might have had with this would be greatly appreciated.

Views: 16

Replies to This Discussion

Wow, Patricia, that's a big problem! Having taught kindergarten, I know it can be especially difficult for the little ones to share. I think the older students will get the hang of sharing eventually. Of course, it's not fun for them or you in the mean time, but hopefully they'll learn soon. If you can think of good collaborative tasks for them to do to practice lesson objectives, they may even forget that they're sharing because there aren't enough computers.

I think if I was in your position, I'd consider letting the younger ones (K-2 maybe?) come in half classes. I teach computer to students K-8, and they all come in half classes because we don't have enough computers either. Of course, this was built in to the schedule originally, but it seems to work ok. The little ones may even do better with a shortened period!

Hope this helps in some way! Let me know if you have ideas!
Sharing is not the way to go. Its time to get some donations. Time to sit in a neighborhood council meeting or a chamber of commerce (or both) meeting for the local area. Get them involved and tell them why it benefits them to help: "because good schools are good for home values".

Are there any real estate, mortgage, banking related businesses that are downsizing and may be source for significant donations ? Put the word out on the street. Get parents involved. Place an ad locally. Get a business sponsor who will get to put a sign somewhere promoting their business. Like in the teacher's lounge ? Recognition / logo and ad on the schools website ? A recognition plaque in the lab ? name outside on the school's sign ? Don't shoot for the #1 business , or the biggest business sponsor, shoot for the #2 or #3 business. the one who NEEDS / Wants recognition. How about a dentist / orthodontist / restaurant ?

Shoot for having plenty of equipment. 30 computers / laptops should be a good goal.

Just throwing out ideas.

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service