What is your experience with open source lab management software? What can you recommend?

Tags: lms, oss

Views: 9113

Replies to This Discussion

MST lanview3 software is an open source lab management package I use to automatically turn on all the lab computers every morning. That alone is a reason to use it. But I also use to log them off after each class, restart the lab when necessary and shut them down at the end of the day. It also can be used to blank students screens and block them from using the internet. The developer is an ex computer lab teacher so he knows our business. Give it a look.
Thanks very much Steve! That's exactly what I was looking for.
We use Italc
http://italc.sourceforge.net/
Features:
iTALC has been designed for usage in school. Therefore it offers a lot of possibilities to teachers, such as

* see what's going on in computer-labs by using overview mode and make snapshots
* remote-control computers to support and help other people
* show a demo (either in fullscreen or in a window) - the teacher's screen is shown on all student's computers in realtime
* lock workstations for moving undivided attention to teacher
* send text-messages to students
* powering on/off and rebooting computers per remote
* remote logon and logoff and remote execution of arbitrary commands/scripts
* home-schooling - iTALC's network-technology is not restricted to a subnet and therefore students at home can join lessons via VPN-connections just by installing iTALC client
Thanks Dan. Looks like it's free as well. Am I right?
That is correct.
Dan, thanks so much for posting this info. I've been using a few different trials for lab management, and I have found the cheaper it is, the harder to navigate and worse the interface. I was very concerned about a free program being any good... BUT this one is AWESOME. I am able to use it while teaching my enrichment classes in the computer lab but also for troubleshooting, installing, and checking out problems on teachers computers. That part of my job takes the most time - helping other teachers, much of who are totally clueless about technology. The way it makes teaching my enrichment classes is a bonus! I've been using it for a full week and as you can see I can't say enough good things about it. I also love how "pretty" the interface and program is. Not like the typical open source software package. Thanks Dan!!!
Just tried for hours to get this working but couldn't get past the initial stages. It looked like it was saving the key to install on the client machines but without success. After several attempts I have given up. This software, while free, is problematic with various bugs. I found a forum which lists various issues. I have started working with Lanview3 which presents as freeware but then says shareware. Fee of US$40 after 27 days.
I just recently came across italc in my search for free remote viewning/controlling software. I administer a lab of over 400 pcs and am having trouble getting italc to work correctly. The manuals/wiki dont do any good.

Can this program work with dynamic ips?
I have tried entering the computer name, but it doesnt find the client. I have entered the IP, to work for a while, and then lose connection. I have entered the IP to have it connect to a different computer with a different IP!?
for example, I entered a pc with ip 10.14.12.100, with computer name 175 (which i got straight from the client pc) and when I tried to connect, I saw client 210, which has a different IP.
Anybody run into this, or know how to fix it. Im using italc 1.0.9 (the newest one) on xp sp3 machines. thanks,
Hi Dan, I too just recently came across iTalc and installed it on my windows xp machine. It works great. The GUI is nice.

It says it will work on Debian, Ubuntu, Suse but I could not get it to work on an OSX client. Do you know a free similar product that would work in Windows/OSX environment?

Thanks.
We just started using iTalc in one of our libraries and the librarian loves it. I like it as well though I wish it had better leveled authentication mechanism. Also if the auth was a bit easier or more streamlined it would be nice as I don't like playing in the registry all that much.
I'm Looking at MST lanview3 and iTalc. Just wondering if anyone has any further comments about their experience with this software. Things like problems, support, etc.
We used to run NetSupport School but have been using iTalc since the start of the year in our Windows XP Computer labs. For a free tool it serves its purpose and no more maintenance renewals, yea!. Never heard of Lanview3, going to have to try it out over break. I am still looking for something that will work under Terminal Services the way NetSupport School did.

Some things I have run into with iTalc:

1. Sometimes when you send a message to a user, it is possible for the next user to logon to have the message pop-up. I am not sure if that is because the message was never acknowledged by the original user but I generally don't use messages too much.

2. When pushing out a demo to student screens, screen refresh sometimes is a problem. The student's screens will pixelate and not refresh in a timely manner. Since I mainly use the tool to lock student's screens when I want them to pay attention to me, it doesn't bother me. We run old Dell GX270's and I don't know if it is a client video issue, a LAN speed issue (we are Gig to the desktop) or an issue with the Management station CPU/Video, again an old GX270 P4 2.8. I'll test that theory if I get better hardware to play with.

3. If the student shutdowns their computer, it won't be locked out when it reboots.

4. Sometimes after locking screens, one student will have an active window in the foreground with the locked screen in the background.

5. I have noticed a higher than normal rate of what appears to be stuck alt or ctrl keys after installing iTalc but I am not sure if it is really related to iTalc or not. Pressing the alt or ctrl keys several times clears the condition.

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service