This summer 2 teacher friends and I been given a grant for a school-wide (JK-5) learning experience with food. This project will have lessons, speakers, field trips, curricular tie-ins, and hands on experiences. It will encompass sustainability, nutrition, agriculture, global awareness, and service learning. We have already begun collecting ideas and we are quite excited.

My curriculum team and I would love any ideas from members of Classroom 2.0. community. Please take the time to leave comment.

Tags: JK-5, curriculum, food, globalawareness, nutrition, servicelearning, sustainability

Views: 42

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Amy,
A third grade teacher in my school celebrated National Potato Chip Day this past Spring. She collected 300+ varieties of chips from around the world. Her kids wrote letters to suppliers she found on the web. As they arrived, the kids classified them by color, size, shape, smell, flavor, etc. They also made their own potato chips. They kept a wall map display with the locations marked accordingly. On the last day of the project (under protective supervision) they launched various types of potatoes with a potato cannon. I would be happy to introduce her tp you if you would like to know more details of her project.
Best,
Rick
Yes, I would be interested in being introduced to your friend. That project sounds really cool. We will also want to find out what is grown locally near other schools in other areas of the country/world. I am currently learning more about Illinois agriculture than I ever had in my 35 years of living here (yes, I never left.)
I will contact her and be in touch. Our county, Kosciusko County, has a rich agricultural heritage. I teach about it as part of Indiana history. I would be happy to have my students write about these things and send them to yours. Perhaps you could have your students brainstorm a questionnaire to send out. I already have learning partners in Iceland, Spain, France, Italy, Israel, India, Australia, and New Zealand. I could forward the questionnaire on to them and our kids could both learn from the results. What do you think?
Our librarian received a grant for food in books. She has a list of over 200 books where food is major part of a book and students have to create a 3D scene from the book (involving food) on these little cardboard trays. Her samples are fun. She starts that project in the New Year.
That sounds cool. I would love to know more as the project gets underway!

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service