What is the most important technology tool you have integrated into your curriculum? Why do you use it? How long have you been using it? What has been the feedback you have received from colleagues, administration, parents, and students?

I am trying to become a technology resource for my colleagues and I am picking your brains for some ideas!

Tags: getting-started, tools

Views: 113

Replies to This Discussion

I would say one of our school's most useful tools is the LCD projector. It allows you to demonstrate how to use the computer's functions to the whole class at the same time. It also gives students a visual to go along with the explaination. Students and teachers love it!
Thanks, Deb. You are the first one to respond since I posted this in January! I am getting a mounted projector (imager) in the fall and I'm very excited. Thanks for this feedback and please keep in touch.

Amy :)
I also like utilizing the Elmo (document camera) with the LCD projector. It was real helpful for my students when I am giving directions. I used it with a map lesson and the students like being able to come to the front of the room to demonstrate on a map booklet in color. It also gave us a chance to demonstrate alternate routes showing that there can be more than one answer on things. It was a very motivational device for my students. Once I started using it they sat up and started paying attention more.
I am not familiar with Elmo (unless you mean the red furry monster from Sesame Street). Can you explain more about it? Also, what grade do you teach?

WOW! Two replies in 2 days after 6 months of nothing!

Amy :)
An Elmo is a document camera. It sort of works like a overhead projector except it shows exactly what is put underneath it. So if I want to share a picture book I can put it under the document camera and the students actually see the color page. I like that students can show there notebooks as soon as they get something written. Then we can make comments on what we like about it right away. I teach first grade and my classes are usually pretty big. I usually have 25 to 30 students in a classroom. When I'm trying to demonstrate an experiment using the Elmo it is like everyone is peering right over my shoulder. I saw it demonstrated at different workshops and them convinced my boss that it was something that I wanted to be able to use.
That is really interesting. I had never heard of such a thing.
Elmos and promethean boards. Promethean boards to engage the learner and ver versatile. I've used it for one year. Very positive feedback all around. The elmos I have been disappointed with the shadows that are reflected with those.
Thanks, Ruth. I am getting a Smart board this fall so I will have to find out what it can do. I have seen the Promethean boards in action and they are amazing. Our coordinator does not think they are too different. Do you have any thoughts on that?

Amy
I'm afraid I've never used a smartboard so it's hard to compare. I used an interwrite board before. You could write on it with dry erase markers as well but it didn't erase very well.
Here is a podcast I found on smart board lessons. You might find something of value.
http://pdtogo.com/smart/

Scott
Thanks a lot Scott!
I teach my first graders computer and I think it has been very helpful having an LCD projector. I would like to have some of the other tools that have been mentioned because I have heard they really enhance instruction. Anyway, I don't have any new tools, just wanted to share my comments. I am interested in seeing more responses!

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service