As Hurston opens the novel, she provides the reader insight on the

differences of men & women.  She also gives enough information on

the main character between chapters 1 and10 to allow us a

window to her struggle and the basis for her journey throughout the

novel.  We learn Janie's upbringing, her thoughts and some of her

crsis'.  It is obvious that she has been seeking something since

Hurston introduced us to her in chapter one. 

In your opinion, why is it important that she finds what she is

looking for? Although tradition has shown to be an intricate part of

the Janie's life, discuss how this tradition has affected her and how

the lack of tradition, upon Jody's illness- and later death, becomes

empowering for Janie in her quest for freedom and understanding of

self. Consider the condemnation that may take place by those in

Eatonville and it's relevance to her struggle.  Feel free to discuss your

personal views (supporting or negating); but you must provide

evidence to support your claim.   

In compiling your response, consider what Janie thought would

make her happy versus the changes that have taken place between

chapters 9 and 10. Provide an intellectual response that can be

supported by the text.  Remember all answers are to be written in

complete sentences. 

NOTE: YOU MUST RESPOND TO AT LEAST TWO POSTS

ASIDE FROM YOUR INITIAL RESPONSE. 

Views: 417

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

But, what if it's the men that are keeping her from her goals????? then what???
*-Ashley Wallace-*
Good question.. The men she married could have hinder her from being free. Like when Jody told her to wrap up her hair. Her hair symbolized freedom because of the way it hang down, that was the way she wanted to be. Jody stopped her from wearing her hair down, its no telling that those men stopped her from being free.
I totally agree with Ashley. In my response I think that the men are taking control of the women. Every man that Janie has been with so far has either been overprotective or a control freak.
I agree with you because she has to start all over again and know more about herself so she can know who she really is.
She should find what she's lokking for because, she thinks that women don't follow their dreams, and they give up when things get tough. If she follow her dream and get the freedom she's looking for she might change the way she think about women.
I also agree with Ashley the death of Jody probably has lifted some stress off of her, because as of what we did yesterday, that little activity, it was alot of abuse with Janie and her many husbands.
Freedom is what she thinks is going to help her find what she is looking for. She might need some time away from Eatonville. When I read later on it shows that she found one of her old friends.
In my opinion, I agree and disagree with this respons. I agree because fo the fact that jody suplies janie with what she needs and wants, but then again where is the love.
What does Jody provide her with that she didnt already have or need? You response here is vague.
Yes, Jody gave Jaine everything that she wanted. But what about her freedom. Explain your opinion about Janie's freedom.
this is a good point but you said that janie escapes from her problems but why can she escape him and tries to reach for freedom? instead of waiting until he dies.
The death of Jody has helped her on her adventure to freedom, and I think that she was forced to marry due to her granny and, Jody wasnt the love she was looking for cause he was too jealous, So when Jody passed away she felt as if freedom was calling her name so she went back to where everything started and began a search for a new beginning.

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service