Ok, PLEASE help me out. I'm trying to create some materials for pd and want some input. Let's start at the bottom with our email-only, Powerpoint-loving colleagues (nothing wrong with that, just want to help them advance!). What do these teachers need to know in order to teach effectively in today's technology environment? Your list can have MORE than 10 (or less, I guess, but who can think of less than 10?!?) Doesn't have to include only 2.0 tips, could be Office, etc.
Thanks so much, I know every single one of my CR2.0 colleagues has a wealth of knowledge to share :-)

Edited to add: I put the replies together in a "transcript" for those of you wishing to use it for PD. Published it as a GoogleDoc here - http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=ddx5s2vf_14nk6spfgj

Tags: pd

Views: 2861

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

All that I ask is that it keep the Classroom 2.0 name on it!
I look forward to it being pulled together too! Was thinking of doing this myself. Well done on starting this discussion.
Helen
I might not have 10 things here, but i have a few that I can voice based on my experiences with my colleagues.

10. It's never too late to start using technology. Even though you are close to retirement, it's worth it.
9. It's just technology nothing to be scared of.
8. Experiment with different programs and applications, and find what feels right to you. The more confortable you are with something, the easier it is to use and teach with.
7. Powerpoints are great... just besure to limit the amount of text per slide (My biggest issue with people that show powerpoints!)
6. Plan for gliches and bugs. No one is perfect and nothing is perfect.. bugs and gliches happen. You always have to have something to fall back on.
5. tell your students to get involved. If they know something that you don't, don't be afraid to let them show you. Letting them teach you something really means the world to the student.
4. Have an open mind about technology. Never down play something.
3. There is more than just the internet to teach with. Podcasting anyone?
2. Make sure you preview EVERYTHING you are going to use from the web! And make sure all your internet addresses are SAFE! You don't want to type something wrong and end up with one of those sites! While the students will laugh, most admistrators will not!
1. Get involved in a nice community like classroom 2.0 that shares and exchanges all sorts of information on using techology in the classroom.

wow i got 10. though something tells me a lot of them are repeats.
Great stuff, Lucas! As for # 5, one of my 6th graders was the one to teach me about igoogle! How cool is that?
1. Find a teacher who already has accomplished what you would like to do and ask them to help you.
2. Save bookmarks on an online bookmarking site in advance. This way you don’t have to do it at each machine and you avoid typing errors on the student's part.
3. Try to accomplish the task you want your students to accomplish in advance. Sometimes a project seems simple until you try it yourself.
4. Don’t prepare at home and then have the students perform a task at school. School computers may not have the same components installed that you do at home.
5. Think about how a digital camera can photograph steps in a project that you can display on a projection device. I did this with a set of calipers in math class. We had one set, and the rest of the class followed along with the photo to check the work of the student with the actual device.
6. Listen to podcasts. You don’t need an iPod, but it can help you take the show on the road. (See if you can give them a list of sample podcasts.)
7. Try one new thing each year.
8. If you like what you did try it again next year and improve on it.
9. If you do not like what happened see what you can change.
10. The corollary: Drop what is not working.
Nice list, Ann! Love # 7 - I've gotten REALLY into blogging with my kids this year and am dying to start with wikis, but I think I'm going to hold off and really dig into this area first.
Use technology only when it makes rich, real and relevant curriculum richer, more real and more relevant.
Too true, Nancy! I have the benefit of teaching technology classes, so it's all relevant ;-)
I totally agree, great way to put it, will have to remember that quote of yours.

"Use technology only when it makes rich, real and relevant curriculum richer, more real and more relevant."
Cyndi, don't get me started on the tool vs knowledge discussion. I've had this fight with several (many) ed tech bloggers over the last few months. lol
"Use technology only when it makes rich, real and relevant curriculum richer, more real and more relevant."

I have to agree with the above statement and chime in with my own two cents:

The best results are when the tech tools are mated to the students learning styles, enable differentiated project based learning that combine rich content with problem solving and reflective activities.

But we must also take into consideration the learning curve. Tech tools are like any other tools (hammers, drills)-in skilled hands they can create master pieces. In young unskilled hands the results may at first ,not be what anyone would hope for-however with time and practice better and better projects are created :)
This is definately the LoTi philosophy. For the teachers in my district who only use e-mail and our online gradebook because they have to, having them gather their students around a computer to watch a video is a huge step. For this teacher, I would bring in the projector and help them set it up and be comfortable using it. For the teacher who takes their class to the lab to make a powerpoint (again), I would encourage that teacher to allow students the choice of a powerpoint, a PhotoStory project, a brochure, a video, or however else the student wanted to demonstrate their new knowledge. The more comfortable the teacher is with the technology, the more relevant the technology tools will used.

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service