We recently posted a discussion item in our Blog and Forum at MasteryMaze.com regarding the K-12 Online Conference, (sponsored by the K-12 Online website) which was held in October. The podcast which we found most interesting discussed among other things, the use of cell phones as a learning tool. The presentation entitled "Cell Phones as Classroom Learning Tools", presented by Liz Kolb from Madonna University in Michigan discusses the use of cell phones both in the classroom and out! Suggestions include using cell phones as podcasting tools, organizers, vocabulary tools and flash cards. The podcast is fairly long, but we think worth a listen. What do you think?

Can cell phones be productive teaching tools, or is this a little off the deep end?

www.masterymaze.com

Views: 5

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I presented yesterday at ACSI in DC and ended the presentation with participants using a cellphone to podcast their take-aways. So absolutely yes - cellphones can easily be used in education productively...let's start a list....
-podcasting faculty interviews in classrooms
-receiving homework reminders
-posting to one's blog
-looking up the definition of bunion in Google (define:bunion)
-checking email for that wiki invite to your teacher's wiki where you need to do your work
-listening to free educational podcasts
-showing your parents via the camera on your phone that you are really at Susie's and not a static picture of Susie's room or a movie of Susie waving either (they know how - ask 'em!)
-playing music while you write (research proven to help!)
-many more uses, but that will get us started...I better go listen to Liz Kolb's preso now....
I totally agree. I have been having my students use the calendar to remember homework assignments, although, I will say they feel a little awkward about it. I also create review podcasts which I am hosting on my website, and I have encouraged them to use their phones to listen to them, if they have the capability, in lieu of mp3’s for the convenience. Many of my students are not ready to make the jump. They are putting the podcasts on their Nano’s, but they are a little uncomfortable combining school with their social medium.
I believe we need to bridge that gap, and in time we will. They are quite used to listening to me on their iPods, and at first they looked at me like I was nuts! Now, I am just another song.  It is pretty powerful! It is the reason I created my site. I hope others will be interested in creating the same type of tool to share with the world. (More on that later) We shall see. We need to reach kids where THEY are!

Thanks for the comment and I would be interested in your thought on the rest of her ideas!

Sue P. aka The Maze

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service