I've been asked to work with a Grade 8 English class in getting them to use some of the new computer technologies. Of course, I'm a history teacher so I'm a little puzzled what to do with an English class, and I think the English teacher is a first year teacher so she's a little shaky on where computers might fit into her curriculum.

The actual class itself I get to work with for 35 minutes every six school days (not much) and the classroom teacher may (or may not) continue whatever I do in her other classes.

Does anyone have any ideas for what I can do with an English class that's
a) useful and helps develop skills
b) computer related so we get to integrate a bit of tech into a class
c) interruptable since I don't get to see these kids that often?

Any ideas, however tentative, would be appreciated.

Views: 22

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Blogs and wikis would be great because they could access them 24/7 whether you are there or not----and you can still keep tabs on them. Great writing opportunities--I do online book discussions with my elementary students and they do a great job.
This has some promise. If the kids can write somewhat anonymously and respond the same way they might be more open. Of course, I'll still have to know what they're doing.
Although a bit dated (thought by some) - my teachers have found that use of forums are a good way to get discussions going through threaded ideas. We use Moodle - but you could setup an online group (even Ning).

I also like to do Digital Storytelling with this age group. I have seen some fantastic work by some of the quietest students.
With the Digital Storytelling, did you have something like Microsoft Photostory in mind? It could be good. I just need to find more cameras. Gotta love equipment shortages.
I set up book discussion for my 4-6th graders, it's a great way to do some authentic writing for a real audience.

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service