I know, that Ning will add a wiki to each Network very soon. There are some wikis available like wikispaces or pbwiki.
What´s your favorite? Please tell us more about how to team up within your wiki!

Tags: wiki, collaboration

Views: 142

Replies to This Discussion

I use wikispaces for presentations and in-service activities (http://techtwaddle.wikispaces.com)
For my base website, I have been using PMwiki which I loaded on my own server. http://www.sharonbetts.org/site/pmwiki.php
Students seem to enjoy PBwiki and we have used it for projects at the high school level. I am really looking forward to the ning wiki to be added.
I like wikispaces, and I would like Jotspot if Google hadn't put in in induced coma after buying it last October: I mean our Noi Media group has a Jotspot wiki we happened to open more or less by chance 2 weeks before Google's takeover, the project manager app is marvelous, but what's the point if other people can't join?

Re wikispaces, there is one small problem: no notification if someone else is already editing the same page. I remember an online course (TappedIn or Elluminate, not sure which) where the instructor sent us all to practice on a given wikispaces page. The chat of the course platform filled with angry protests at people's seeing their edits disappear. So I used the discussion part of the page to create a new page just for me ;-)

Another wikioid useful tool, not yet mentioned in this thread: Google Docs & Spreadsheets. Wikioid because the history is rather imprecise, but it's nice if you want to collaborate privately on a project. With 2 colleagues in Kinshasa, we used it to translate 2 tutorials (70 pages) on ePortfolios last December. We had a table of content page with the description of and links to all parts and names of who was translating which, and a glossary spreadsheet to unify terminology. The glossary is public - not the translation itself, for copyright reasons.

On the whole, though, if privacy is a requirement I would prefer to use a private real wiki and a spreadsheet on Google Docs & Spreadsheet if we needed one for the project, cross-linking them. The "table of content" Google Docs page is a possible work-around, but a rather awkward one.
I have been using editMe [ http://editme.com/Demo ]for several years and find it very powerful and flexible. It is a commercial wiki but rather cheap at $4.95US a month at the minimum size. It has just about every feature I can think of including good user access controls so that parts or all of a site can be set to be visible and editable by different groups of members. We have used it with large numbers of university students and it has allowed them to become instant web authors and (almost) never breakdown.

I feature I find important is easy ability to include images and videos to the wiki.
I had been using PBWiki, but recently have set up a classroom wiki with wetpaint. I am only a week or two into it, but have been impressed with its ease of use and number of options.

So far, I have been using it to put up pages for my classes. It is my plan to start getting the students involved soon. I am interested to see how that goes.

More as it happens.
I set up a wiki with my classes on pbwiki (fouss.pbwiki.com) that I think was pretty successful. After reading some of these posts, though, I wish I had explored the other options a little more before I went with pbwiki. I do like how it's free and doesn't have ads, but having more storage space would have been nice, too!

Kristen

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service