Using multimedia to create a project with ESL students

I'm taking a course and we have to develop a project using multimedia. I don't feel too confident about ipods, moviemaker, etc. etc. but want to learn more. I was thinking of developing a project for newcomer students in order to introduce them to the school setting, important people, places, and useful phrases...
my students are in second grade and at varying proficiency levels; we also need to accomplish this in the next two weeks. Any suggestions? Help!!!

Views: 92

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

One of my grad students used PhotoStory 3 (PC only, free download here ) and created a transition video for her fifth grade students on the autism spectrum. The video was a tour of the new school they would be transitioning to including new staff. She did an excellent job and photostory is very easy to use. Her students will watch the movie throughout the summer to prepare them for the change to the new middle school.
Another option is to use Voice Thread which is also free for educators and easy to use.
I like this idea - thanks Karen. I forgot a couple of details: I'm having the second graders create the project for any new children. I started to create something in PhotoStory about 3 weeks ago about our Earth Day lesson; I was going to use it to demonstrate how the students could take 5 photos/pix and make a mini story based upon what they learned; however, I had to download the software to a borrowed laptop; additionally, when I tried to present this in my grad course, the filters would not let me access PhotoStory - it was a complete mess!
I find it very frustrating to plan and do the legwork in order to integrate technology, only to have obstacles detering it from even happening. Has this ever happened to you?
I'm new to all of this technology but I want to learn as much as I can. I have to find out more about the Voice Thread - is that just a recording on the MP3 or another device? I'll check out the blog Here and There Japan - maybe we'll do it on a smaller scale that is relevant to our school. Most of my students are in the K-2 range; however, this project would be good for any newcomer - Kindergartener or older. I also found out that I may be getting a 5th or 6th grader from China in September; so it benefit him as well.
Try Larry Ferlazzo's "Best of" series to find good resources:

http://larryferlazzo.edublogs.org/about/my-best-of-series/

he uses these with newcomers to create content.

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service