What are people using for school websites and class pages? Also, has anyone used eChalk? If so, what are your thoughts on that as a resource for school websites and class pages?

Tags: class, pages, school, student, websites

Views: 72

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have several sites. I design my own and serve my personal site myself. I also have multiple sites through the district that serve different purposes. You can see a list of all our stuff here.
Nancy,

Thank you for your sharing. I am going to look at this more deeply, but I'm wondering,how your personal site powered? Who is the provider? Also, who hosts "Broken Arrow Enhanced Learning Center" official classroom site with student pics and work?
I use Web.com as a host for A Different Place but it is more expensive than some. Our school district hosts The Broken Arrow EL site. All my sites are done with Microsoft Frontpage.
I recently called Web.com, told them I was a poor teacher and they lowered my fee from $250.00 a year to $7.00 a month (probably the current rate, I just hadn't checked in five years!). They have excellent customer service and are 110% reliable.
You might want to consider making your class page using googlepages (www.pages.google.com). It's super easy to use and everything is stored on the google server. The pages are user-friendly, ad-free and easy to customize without knowing html.

Good Luck!
Crystal,

Thank you so much for the feedback!!!! Are you using this in a school?
Hi Lisa,

I also recommend you take a look at WiZiQ's Virtual Classroom if your interested in online instruction.

Another web tool that maybe helpful is authorSTREAM, a power point web based presentation tool. You can upload your power points on the web for everyone to see.
I use Google Sites. It's easier to use than Google Pages and can serve as a Wiki (i.e. you can let other people collaborate on the web page with you). I think Sites is replacing Google Pages.
Our school district uses E-Chalk. I find it to be user friendly. Depending on how much content you want to add will depend on how you will like it. Only draw backs I find is that amount of space that can be used to upload. At times the can be restrictive on what you want on your site. The students LOVE it! Especially the fourth and fifth graders.
I use iWeb for the school site, edublogs for the technology site, and google sites for some of the special projects we do at school. The above are all accessible from the blog

The teachers use teacherweb to host their pages.
I recommend using open source software on shared server space. This can be done very inexpensively and you will have total data ownership. Nobody will be tracking browsing habits, and you will never have advertising. You can install a wide variety of software on an as needed basis.

For a school website, I recommend Joomla or Drupal. I believe both have education specific templates and/or packages. For teacher websites, it's hard to beat WordPress. If you need multiple blogs, then WordPressMU would work well, although Drupal has the capability of managing blogs as well. Moodle is an excellent Learning Management System if that is the approach you want.
We use Blackboard for teachers who are very serious about putting their classes online but I'm very excited about a newer Website called posterous.com . It's wonderful, you just email your files to post@posterous.com and it builds a website for you. Send more email and it keeps adding it to your page. Since almost every teacher can send email, every teacher should be able to have a website! It's the best thing I've seen in a while.

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service