Steve Hargadon posted Web 2.0 Is the Future of Education. I found it it and the comments that follow to be interesting. Let's share our reactions to this post and discuss the possible implications for teacher education.

Tags: education, teacher, technology integration, web20

Views: 31

Replies to This Discussion

The following is cross-posted in the comments below Steve's actual article.
----
I also think that the transition is important. Ten years ago those of us pioneering the technology integration movement were trying to demonstrate to/ persuade educators that the power wasn't in the office/ productivity tools, rather in their support of instruction, learning, creativity and self-expression. Ten years later and I think we are beginning to see some progress in the way educators are integrating these kinds of applications. It just takes a while for a variety of reasons.

Today, the Web 2.0 tools are typically so slick and simple that we are amazed at the technical accomplishments each represents (I'm typically thinking, "Oh, if we can do this now then it won't be long before we can do xxxxx in the classroom."). Many seem to forget what we've learned about using technology to support learning among all the glitz, bells and whistles of these cutting edge applications. In my opinion it is going to be important that education maximizes what instructional designers and educational technologists can offer. Otherwise, we will fall well short of maximizing the potential good that is ahead.
I'd really like to explore and discuss the potential of blogging and micro-blogging in teacher education courses. A colleague and I have begun discussions about using twitter in some teacher ed courses where students are in practicum placements. As we continue to discuss and implement some ideas, I'll share them here.

Is anyone else having their teacher candidates blog or tweet as a part of their teacher education experience?

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service