I am a tech trainer at a service unit in NE. we are going to be hosting "Technology Academy for Social Studies" workshop for our area SS teachers. We plan to discuss digital storytelling and podcasting with them. we would like to include some web 2.0 tools where appropriate. If you were going to go to a workshop like this, what would you like to learn about? As social studies teachers what are some of your favorite tech tools? Are there other technologies you think we should demonstrated?

Also, would it work to encourage our group to join this group discussion site? This might be a great place to "gather." I do have a wiki set up for them but this might be fun too.

Thanks!

Tags: education, social, studies

Views: 21

Replies to This Discussion

This might sound silly, but as a history teacher I'd like to know about some of the history resources available. I've been discovering in the past year that there's a lot of old Canadian newspapers online. This is really cool as I see it. I use to have to go to quite a bit of effort to get these same papers when I was doing my MA, and now I can bring them into my classroom using the Net. I'm not sure how many history teachers know about the increasing number of primary sources available, but they really should.

I admit it's not exactly Web 2.0, but I think it'd be a great jumping off point. Every history teacher could see the value of the Net for primary source documents, and once you've got him/her there, you reel him in and show him the fancier toys.
Deanna, I suggest you use del.icio.us to share links instead of using emails.Then you just give them the link to your del.icio.us page one time, and they can either check back whenever they want, or subscribe to your del.icio.us page (or just one of the tags you use) via rss. That way they can keep up as you add new links, and you won't have to keep sending out emails. You can also use del.icio.us to create networks, and share specific links with selected people (and they can start sharing what they find with you, too!).

I supervise International Baccalaureate students who write their extended essays in political science, and combining del.icio.us with a feed aggregator is a great way to share links and then review those resources together.

For James' idea, I'd suggest using dates as tags on del.icio.us (e.g. "1892") as well as other tags for places, topics, and specific newspapers. The great thing about del.icio.us is that you can use it to find out who else is tracking the same kind of resources you are, and then follow them around the web (or invite them to this group!). If you're not familiar with it, you can look at my del.icio.us links here: del.icio.us/themingway

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service