Progress Update

Thanks for the input so far.

Thanks to Betsy and Chris, I ws reminded that this is a TWO DIRECTIONAL design.

I need to plan for addressing Paper/Info In and Paper/Info Out.

Paper Out.

In this area I’m feeling pretty comfortable. I pretty much have full control of anything leaving my office. To the extent possible, if it requires written format, I can email it. If it’s a type of message that doesn’t need to be in writing, I will make a point of talking with the teacher personally.

Morning announcements will be via Podcast or Vcast. A 15 minute homeroom period is being redesigned to allow access to the announcements, discussion of issues, and opportunities to allow students to respond to issues via my blog or an anonymous On-Line Issue Bin.

Of course, all staff have access to email.

Software for taking surveys will make them available on-line.

I’m comfortable with what’s leaving the office.

Paper In.

I need to focus more on how to deal with the paperwork that continues to come in.

All Facility Work Requests are already on-line and sent to the office where we process and file them on-line with the appropriate division: painters, plumbers, HVAC, etc. (Principals will relate to this as a high priority item – when your heat doesn’t work or the toilets don’t flush, teaching withers on the vine faster than a snowman melts in Fort Worth in the middle of July!)

Lesson plans, staff sign-in/out, purchasing, payroll, work order requests, and required State Assessment Info are all on-line. I have visited with the secretary and she is working on ways to convert incoming paper to PDF formats and filing.

Lest all this sounds like staff will sit and communicate via computer all day, the exact opposite will be the goal.

I have purchased a couch – 8’, big and comfy, and piled with pillows. I have eliminated my desk – no more meetings with staff or students “hiding” behind the wall of a desk. It has been replaced with a USB Hub Workstation for my computer and phone. A large coffee table and area rug has been bought. The building is going all wireless. A laptop will be in place and will be left charged and on the coffee table for students or staff to use to take notes or share work with me. (Thanks Adelyn.) Regarding the design of the office, (thanks again David), it will be laid out to promote a comfortable "conversation pit" feel rather than beaureaucatic office.

I am exploring how best to set up a projector to show agendas, work notes, sites of interest, etc. to staff in my office.

As a district, we have a program called Computer Competency Initiative (CCI). It requires every teacher to demonstrate competency in eight identified competency areas (Word, ExCel, Email, Powerpoint, etc.). Teachers can test out via a grade of 70% or take a 3 hour course. This helps create a basic baseline of competency knowledge. This also provides me a starting point for further staff inservice.

Which reminds me, to emphasize the importance of this program (School 2.0) I am taking the lead in teaching and monitoring the use of various technologies and programs. I believe that if the staff sees me in a very proactive role (rather than bringing in outside consultants, introducing them, then leaving the room…not that I ever did that...[cough]) they will better understand my expectations, the importance I am placing on it, and be more willing to get on-board.

Remaining Problem Areas:

Best document conversions software
Better Filing System
After Hours Access for Students and Staff – How to take Parent Surveys if there are no home computers
Document/Web translations for Non-English Speakers

At some point, I hope to be able to post some pictures, but they still have me restricted from my office area with the asbestos project.

Views: 4

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service