I am a technology teacher at a small, private school in Merced, CA. We have a new librarian this year and she wants to get our 10,000 + inventory into the computer. We are tight on budget (almost NIL) and are just beginning the research into our software options. We need something easy to use and possibly open-source. I have seen some with a web interface for searching the catalog but I don't know which ones are good. I have very little experience with Linux and I don't want to have to use the command-line heavily to get the system up and going. Mac support is preferable. Any suggestions? What are you using?

Also, we will be starting to enter all the titles into an Excel spreadsheet on the assumption that, when we do decide on the software, we can simply import the data directly into the the database. Is this a good assumption or should we not bother?

Any assistance you can provide would be much appreciated.

Tags: ILS, library, software

Views: 40

Replies to This Discussion

George -
I would think that your Excel assumption is a good one. I have used two library programs, and in both I was able to import patron data from Excel in the manner that you describe. Surely MARC record information would work the same, no? Both of the programs I have used were not open source, so I can't help you there, but I wish you luck in finding one that works great for you!

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service