I joined this group after seeing the comment below, by Steve, in reference to Alix's blog which included a long list of recommended free software with short descriptions and links to the appropriate download sites.

"lets re-initiate this as forum posts, if that's OK. That way it will be easier to track (and later find) these resources! "

The list hasn't re-intitiated yet in the way I anticipated, (ie us adding the recommendations from the blog post as threads in this forum), which puts into focus a couple of characteristics of Ning which in my opininion need addressing.
1) Things get lost!
2) There is no 1 click solution to favoriting a blog post or forum
3) There is no simple way of sharing links and bookmarks.

By way of explanation - unless you visit Alix's post you will not be aware that such a rich list of free software exists anywhere on this social network. After visiting the page unless you add a comment to it, share it with yourself or subscribe by RSS you might be hard put to find it again.

Yes I know about tagging - but that is still very haphazard. I can't even find things in my own del.icio.us! (Even Google (docs) has conceded that there does need to be some kind of filing system - if only to help the "tagging challenged" such as myself.)

So now that I've had my rant, what is the best way to make the links from the original blog post available to anyone interested?

Tags: FLOSS, rss, socialnetworking, tagging

Views: 26

Replies to This Discussion

Now its my turn to eat humble pie, when I clicked on the link for "all discussions" I found the thread with the list of software. Notwithstanding, I doubt I would have read through pages and pages of old forum posts if I was a new member.
Hi,

Sorry I can't answer you question but I wonder if there is another solution, that of installing a search facility?

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service