Is anyone planning a project for following the US Presidential campaign trail this year? I'm looking to create a distance collaboration project and would like to have input and involvement from various classrooms. Adding the dimension of another group of students really does add some accountability to the work they'll be doing.

Tools I think we'll be using: Skype, wikis, podcasting, iMovie, live streaming, Voice Thread, other?

My thoughts are that kids will learn the caucus, primary, state/national conventions process, learn the electoral college process, and also learn about the leading candidates. I'd like to start this in January, but if you're reading this later, let me know!
Ultimately, I think that the goal will be to have students transfer their knowledge into volunteering for a candidate's campaign in one more more different ways.

Thoughts? Does anyone have past experiences for tips/traps advice?

Tags: campaign, caucus, conventions, democrat, president, primary, republican, social_studies

Views: 52

Replies to This Discussion

Just in case anyone wants to join in on this discussion, I'm posting the wiki link here. We have schools in CT, UT, MD, and KS, as well as France participating.

We would LOVE to have you join in! Take a look; basically, we're following the progress of the candidates, as well as learning about the entire process. Even Vincent Mespoulet, of Hors les Murs is having his class join in by posting how the process works in France! We do plan to add more non-US schools sharing their democratic processes soon!

We've even held a live debate between a schools in CT and KS about the major campaign issues using UStream (I've got it captured; will be posting it soon).

The wiki should culminate in a series of student-created videos where they have a chance to send a message to a candidate of their choice, or to the future President, whomever that may be.

Come visit; if you have an idea for another branch to add, just message me here, or email me: GingerL (at) essdack (dot) org!
Thank you Ginger for adding i love politics in your wiki. I send a message to join yor wiki space and build some pages for the French Election Process...
Have a nice day !
Vincent
Hi Ginger. I would love to work with you on this project. I currently teach 10th grade American Government at a suburban high school in St. Louis, Missouri. I am looking to get involved in an online collaboration. We could start something this year. I don't know if you have already started. I would be willing to start something during the next school year as well. Please let me know your thoughts. This sounds like a great idea.
Ginger,
The wikispace looks wonderful! I would like to join and have submitted my request. I want my 10th grade high school students to get on the wiki as well and discuss the election with the rest. Have you all done anything else other than discussion on the wiki?

Lexie
Ginger,
How did the project go? I work with schools to integrate literacy technologies into their work. I visited your wiki and thought it looked great. I noticed that it hadn't been edited in a while and I wonder if the project achieved what you wanted it to achieve?

I'm struggling with getting projects to achieve those higher levels of engagement and sustainment. Some teachers are able to make it happen and others aren't as successful yet. My problem is trying to make the process replicable and I'm having a little trouble identifying all the variables.

I'd be interested in hearing your opinion on any or all of these issues. Thanks

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service