Welcome to the Candian Mashup group. Introduce yourself here. You can also leave a question about something you'd like to know more about or get help with ... someone in the community will jump in and give you a hand.

My name is Darren Kuropatwa. I teach senior mathematics in Winnipeg, Canada although I'm really a transplanted Montrealer. ;-)

My professional blog is called A Difference.

Cheers from The Great White North!

Tags: Introductions, Welcome

Views: 508

Replies to This Discussion

Hello all,

I teach English in Ottawa and I am always looking for meaningful uses of technology integration in the English curriculum. Having learned lots from other education focused nings, I thought it would be great to get invloved with this one with a clear link to Canada.

Cheers,
Chris
Welcome to the Mashup Chris -- I'm very interested in finding out what's going on in Canada. This kind of information doesn't cross provincial boundaries very often as our education system is so province directed, but I think we should be doing more to try to link kids across Canada through Web 2.0 technologies. -Sue
Hello to all in the Canadian Mashup! Building on the string above where Kevin talks about "using technology to learn rather than learning to use technology"...I belong to a sig in the Society for Information Technology in Teacher Education (SITE) called TPACK (technological pedagogical content knowledge) (Mishra & Koehler, 2006 based on Lee Shulman's work). It is all about exactly that...integrating a teacher's knowledge about what they are teaching, how they are teaching, and how technology integrates it all. It is monumental to consider trying to develop a body of knowledge that integrates all three of these areas--particulary for elementary teachers who are trying to be "experts" in all curriculum areas. I'd love to hear from anyone else who might be attending the conference in San Diego in late March (SITE 2010).
Aside from that--really important news....Team Canada just lost to the US Junior Team....the streak is broken!
HI Julie and Welcome -- I'll be in Australia in March and April for their ACEC computing in education conference. Do you have any links to SITE and TPACK that we can look at? These look like rich topics for more discussion. -Sue
Hi my name is Adele and I am currently in Classroom 2.0 Ning and Groups. It was there that Sue graciously led me to here! I was a classroom teacher in elementary to junior high, then moved to Winnipeg and currently workubg as teacher/consultant in the area of Social Studies/Natives Studies. I also joined the FSD ICT to help teachers with information and suggestions on integrating and infusing tech with the curriculum. Looking forward to meeting and reading discussions here! Happy Holidays to everyone!
Hi Adele and welcome to the Mashup -- what is the FSD ICT? -Sue
Thanks to Sue for finding me in the ether. I'm the Educational Technologist & an Instructor in the Faculty of Education @ Vancouver Island University in Nanaimo, BC. My previous job was at high school in the Gulf Islands where I ran the Distributed Learning program & taught Spanish. I've been at VIU for 3 years now and love it.
Looking forward to learning from all the members and hopefully contributing back to the community as well.
Hi Julia and welcome -- If you're looking for a guest speaker some time, let me know. I do presentations and hands-on workshops about incorporating web 2.0 tools and resources for pre- and in-service educators. I'm also the online grad assistant for the Wilkes Instructional Media program -- hoping to transition my career out of direct classroom teaching into working at the university level.
Thanks for inviting me Sue!
I'm excited to explore Classroom 2.0 with all of you.
I am a transplanted British Columbian now living in Calgary and employed by the CBE.

I am currently on sabbatical for the year completing my masters. My focus is leadership with a slant to ed.tech. I am looking forward to returning to an administrative role next year and really thinking about how to support teachers' implementation of web 2.0 tools while they shift their practice to being learner-centered.

Cheers!
Lori
Hi Lori,
I am a grade two teacher in the Spanish bilingual program here in Calgary. Will you be working with teachers in a specific area of the city or by invitation or...
Elisa
Welcome to the Mashup, Lori -- now that's a switch -- leaving BC to go to Alberta?!?? I'm taking a Masters in Instructional Media and will be looking for ways to work with classroom teachers and their classes on interesting projects in blended learning. If you're ever looking for a speaker, please keep me in mind. -Sue
Thanks for creating the Mashup Group Darren. Thanks to Sue for informing me of this group. Looks like a wonderful group to help grow my PLN.

I am the Dept. Head of Educational Technology and Senior School ICT Teacher at SJR, an Independent School in Winnipeg. Yes, it is cold today :-).

I have been doing a lot of reading and exploring the power of Social Media, Media Literacy, and the impact of Web 2.0. It seems we are finally at the tipping point of change. I am optimistic that the price of technology will become less of an issue. Connectivity will continue to improve and our classroom doors will open wider.

The big issue I personally am focusing on is the change in teaching practices -- developing my skill set and sharing with others in my school and province. As Ian Jukes (keynote at this year's ECOO conference) noted, we are very much like elastic bands. We can be stretched - but without the supports and opportunities for continual ongoing development - revert back to old familiar practices. I encourage you to become "committed sardines".

I am in the process of changing my teaching style from "learning from" to "learning with" - my peers, my PLN, and of course, my students.

Love the opportunities of support from my school. Manitoba Education (new name) is developing a lot of wonderful resources and learning opportunities (LwICT, Mentoring), and of course my long time PLN Manitoba Association of Computing Educators of which I am a board member.

Best regards,

Phil

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service