As Hurston opens the novel, she provides the reader insight on the

differences of men & women.  She also gives enough information on

the main character between chapters 1 and10 to allow us a

window to her struggle and the basis for her journey throughout the

novel.  We learn Janie's upbringing, her thoughts and some of her

crsis'.  It is obvious that she has been seeking something since

Hurston introduced us to her in chapter one. 

In your opinion, why is it important that she finds what she is

looking for? Although tradition has shown to be an intricate part of

the Janie's life, discuss how this tradition has affected her and how

the lack of tradition, upon Jody's illness- and later death, becomes

empowering for Janie in her quest for freedom and understanding of

self. Consider the condemnation that may take place by those in

Eatonville and it's relevance to her struggle.  Feel free to discuss your

personal views (supporting or negating); but you must provide

evidence to support your claim.   

In compiling your response, consider what Janie thought would

make her happy versus the changes that have taken place between

chapters 9 and 10. Provide an intellectual response that can be

supported by the text.  Remember all answers are to be written in

complete sentences. 

NOTE: YOU MUST RESPOND TO AT LEAST TWO POSTS

ASIDE FROM YOUR INITIAL RESPONSE. 

Views: 417

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

You obviously are not giving this answer from what you read, because she married by choice. She went back where? This whole response is not sensible and would not warrant a grade. I advise that you redo this.
I have a question why did Jaine marry Jody?
Janie was searching for freedom. She thinks the only way for her to become free is by running away from every problem. Such as, when Jody died she was free to let her hair back down. Even though Jody told her to put her hair up. His death also symbolized her independence from being married. When Jody died, her dependence died too.. No more shackes, no more chains, no more boundage, she is free..
I disagree because she didnt run away from every promblem such as when she was with Jody for so long even though the promblem she faced. She wasnt free because of the critism of the town for her not crying.
Was it her independence from being married or her independence from being told what is best for her? Explain your response.
Her independence from being told what to do, because when Jody died their was no one else there to tell her what to do but herself. She was tired of being told what to do and when to do it. Now all that is over..
when Jody use to tell her what to do she didn't run away, when he he use to beat on her she didn't runaway accept for one time but what she do she came right back him.
In my opinion,she finds freedom and it is important because she has passed through a lot.Some of the Challenges she had were that her Grandmother forced her into a marriage due by a kiss,After she got married she ran away with another man thinking he was her true love but after a while she relized he wasnt because he just wanted her working in the store all day and making her tie back her hair so when he died she felt free.After everthing she went through she went back to were it all started..
she was looking for freedom because she was marry to all these guy's and she just what to be free and live her life and jacksonville
She's still looking for freedom! &She does want to be free, but also happy.
You make a great point here but explain your point about happiness.
Janie started running away from home at an early age, which led me to think she was runnuing from something, but the more i read the book i realized...she wasn't running from something, she was running towards something which was freedom.
Her marriage with Jody Sparks was a way for her to experience that freedom she had searched so long for, which didn't end to well. As he lied on his death bed he told Janie something I'm sure she would never forget, "rot in hell". This simbolizes the road to freedom she had soon conquered.

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service