So I've been mulling this over for a couple of months, and I think we should do it.

I'd like to propose that as a community we work together to create a book on the uses and impact of Web 2.0 in education. This could be in the form of a wiki or a downloadable PDF file, or both, and would involve the outlining of the the book's contents, then working together to write it. We would want chapters introducing Web 2.0 principles and pedagogies, specific technologies by category (blogs, wikis, social networks, etc.), and give lots of practical examples of their actual use both for classroom application and professional development.

Of course, the content will need to be updated and/or changed with some regularity, but if this idea is a good one, we could schedule to do minor changes every 6 months and major changes every year.
If we were to have a print version (Lulu?), or if a publisher (dreaming?) wanted to pick it up, we could use any revenues to help sponsor the free workshop series.

There are a number of questions we'd have to answer if we decided to do this: how do we delegate and oversee contributions, who would do final edits, what platform would we use to write it (wiki, Google docs, other?), what license to release it under, and many more I'm sure you will think of that I haven't. I'm going to propose that we hold an Elluminate session to talk these through and do the initial organizing, but before we do so I thought it might be good to get some feedback from you first.

Do you like the idea? Do you have any initial thoughts?

Views: 264

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm not wanting to presume anything, but it would be really fun if you wanted to include those contributions in the book.

I know it might complicate things, but I wonder if we would want to allow contributors to choose the Creative Commons license that they want for their "chapters?"
I think this is a great idea and would be happy to help...you might want to check out what the Country Areas Program has done in NSW, Australia. In 2008 a group of teachers/consultants started a wiki based on web 2.0 technologies
https://cap-chatter.wikispaces.com/
It is a great starting tool when exploring web 2.0 tools in education
Great wiki. So this reminds me that 1) where they want to, we need to invite folks who have created these resources to contribute to the book, and 2) that we need to be sure to collect and point to these resources.
What a way to demonstrate the power of Web 2.0. One of my current professors is creating a WikiBook with the help of grad students. Dr. Terrill is working on the book, K-12 School Computer Networking, with several of his classes at Teachers College. I would love to help if you still need volunteers. I like the idea of Google Docs as a way to organize the project.
I also, would love to help out with this. Classroom20 and web2.0 has made such a difference to me as a teacher and to my classes. Time zones are always a problem for me, but am happy to share wherever possible in asynchronous tools.
I have enjoyed reading the ongoing conversation. I would love to help.

One area of interest I would like to see CR2.0 pursue is one we excel at: encouraging teachers to develop their skills, training and ideas at their own level of entry. I enjoy helping those who are just beginning. What can be learned easily for the most actual reward when used to improve learning in a variety of settings.

I would be happy to read, write or help with any other part of the process. Thanks for suggesting this great proposal.

I like the idea that any proceeds go to help sponsor workshops or meet-ups.
I agree that the key here is to create a resource that is really targeted to the beginner, but that also has lots of good help for the more advanced. This is why I like the workshops so much: because they help people get over the initial hurdles of getting started and of understanding the power of these read/write technologies.
This sounds like a great idea and I'm more then happy to help, just let us know where/when. I also just read that Dim Dim just released some new features so that might work well too.
I think this is an excellent idea. I know I missed the boat on web 2.0 during my two years with TFA, there were amazing opportunities to facilitate learning I didn't think much about. I would have loved to have stumbled on a compendium of the basics and best practices using web 2.0.Thanks to one of many job applications, I've really invested myself in learning about it and see so many amazing applications. I enjoy writing, and can think of applications for foreign languages, reading, and writing--as well as interdisciplinary work.

My advantage in this process is that until I find a permanent position, I am subbing. This allows me to meet a lot more teachers in different grades and subject areas than as a classroom teacher. There's a great opportunity to find out what many teachers and schools are doing with these tools. The downside is I am an dial-up, so it limits my ability to participate in web seminars and other similar events.
Sorry about the dial-up. How does CR 2.0 respond to a slower connection? I've often wondered about that.
I love this idea and am glad Patricia Donaghy pointed me in your direction. It may seem the opposite of what we are trying to do in create Web2.0 classrooms using Web2.0 applications, but I feel strongly we need a paper copy book. For the non-digital learner, this is familiar and easy for them. The divide is too deep not to continue to do both digital and paper copies. It would go a long way with my 100+ teachers to have a book in front. They are use to doing book studies for prof. development. I am in. What can I do to help?
Nic: you've hit the nail on the head for me. I see the book as a bridge between the two worlds, in part also because being created collaboratively and provided for free reflects the very changes we are talking about.

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service