I thought that this looked interesting, as I am always exploring new strategies to use with students. I haven't tried this software yet, but I thought it looked interesting, especially for those that are working with pre-service teachers. It is a SIM classroom of sorts. Here is the descriptor as given to by the site:

http://www.ahaprocess.com/store/Sims.html

You simply play the game by making classroom decisions, enforcing and modifying rules, and responding to events initiated by students, parents, and administrators. At the end of each quarter you will receive feedback on how your decisions might affect the happiness, behavior, and academic progress of your students.

It is based off of the Ruby Payne's work, which I find to be very interesting. She explores the hidden rules in which we all operate on based on the socio-economic classes we either grew up in or are living in (poverty, middle class, or wealth).

I thought that I would share this site, and see if anyone out there has used it and some possible feedback. It isn't "Leopardized" just yet, so this could be a downfall for some. They are working on it. Is there anything else like this out there?

Besides the game itself. What are some thoughts on Ruby Payne's"Hidden Rules?" Many of them many sense to me, but I haven't experienced a classroom of great socio-economic diversity just yet. I would love to hear some reflection on her work, from others that have been around the block.

Tags: Payne, Ruby, SIM

Views: 362

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am downloading it to give it a try. Right now in my classrom I use coffe shop, zoo tycoon demo, simcity on-line and Lewis and clark for my simualtion units. Whe I have internet I also like Lemonade shop. I miss some of the old ones like Sim Ant, and Sim town

any other good ones out there?
I tried to download this but it wouldn't run for me. Maybe someone else can make it work.

There is some pretty good stuff about the controversy surrounding Ruby Payne and her teachings in this NY Times article. She teaches about how teachers can understand students of different social classes than themselves. It brings up a lot of touchy stuff about class consciousness and race relations.

I've seen her in person and she's an amazing speaker, probably one of the best I've ever seen at an education conference.

She is often seen as someone who talks about middle class teachers misunderstanding children and parents in poverty, and about how teachers can teach poor children to attack problems the way middle class students do. But when I saw her she spent as much time talking about how middle class teachers don't communicate well with wealthy parents.

Sitting in the audience, it was touching, funny, smart, human, and everything made so much sense... she's just one of those gifted communicators. I would definately go out of my way to hear her again.

But then you go home and start to wonder, is it just that it connects with my ingrained prejudices about rich people and poor people having different values? How much of this is a self-fulfilling prophecy that we'll never bridge those gaps? Is pointing out differences a way to understand them or to reinforce them? Can you impact poverty by teaching kids to "act" middle class? Is that just another way to say, "act white" to fit into society?

I'm still not sure.

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service