Am Called Mubiru Charles the Head-teacher of Kikaaya College School in Uganda , East Africa.I would like to equip my school with computers so that my students learn how to use them, and also to be able to collaborate with other students in other countries. Currently, I have 4 second hand computers which we are using in our school.The total student population in my school is 720 students. I need ideas on how I can get computer donations.

Views: 72

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Mubiru, here are two ideas that might help you:

1. We used to face a similar problem in Ukraine, where the Yacapaca development office is based. We could only afford very, very old PCs. The solution was to use Linux, because that needs far fewer resources than Windows. We had good, fast, usable computer. They still looked old, but we didn't mind that.

2. I heard about a project in Kenya where they learn programming on and for mobile phones. They say this is more useful because lots of Kenyans have mobile phones, so they can create really useful services. Perhaps someone else here will remember the details of this.

Best of luck with your school!
Dear Ian Grove-Stephensen,
Thank you so much for your contribution , I would like to know how to use Linux , and I don't know where I can access Linux ?
I would like to get intouch with that project in Kenya which are using a mobile phones do you have their link
Thank you so much once again
Hi Mubiru,
Just a few days ago, "DigitalMaverick" (Drew Buddie) announced on twitter that his UK school had 80 - 3yr-old computers to donate to a good cause. I have sent him a message directing him to this forum discussion - His blog address is: http://digitalmavericks.blogspot.com/ so there may be others who may know him and can help get the two of you connected.

There may be an issue of shipping charges for transporting such a large quantity of computers to Uganda - Perhaps a service club or even airline would donate those costs.

Are your 4 computers currently hooked up to the internet? I'm also curious about how the four computers are being used by the students right now.

I wish you much luck in your quest.
Hi Lister,
Thanks for your suggestion , I have checked the blog for more information but I have not been so successful. I will try again to see if I can get her e-mail and try to write to her/him.
We put our students in big groups while we are teaching them for instance 12 students per each computer. We have one computer which is connected on the internet.
Hello Mubiru,
I am sure that you have heard of the One-Laptop-Per-Child program. I am adding the link for you
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/The_OLPC_Wiki
Good Luck
Allyson McDowell
Hi Alyson,
Thank you so much for the useful link I will immediately check it and see the possiblity
Have a nice day

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service