I am wondering if there is a use for a service that personilizes the wonderful OS software available as an .ISO download from http://theopendisc.com/education. Let me explain: I am involved with a local community effort to provide low and medium income families loans for PC acquisitions (HP/Intel/WellsFargo,etc) and one of the offers is a PC without any software (other than XP) where the El Paso Collaborative (where I volunteer) provides the Open Source Software CD, customized from the address above. Thus, splash screens, credits and links all have been customized to promote our local effort (PR really) while the opendisc.org product is still the meat and potatoes (and they know about EPC). If anybody might want to look at a customized image, I can direct them to the project's repository. The idea is offering a very cool CD while being able to promote your own organization/group.

Views: 43

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Alan. I'd love to help promote or find uses for. Email me directly at steve@hargadon.com, and let's brainstorm.

Steve
Because of the players involved in the project finances, and what everybody has committed to, it is not feasable to strip the OS (MSW) from the units - as it turns out being able to offer this CD was a rather gargantuan task by itself... LOTS of folks in industry don't feel too cool with FOSS, let alone Linux. Eventually, we will perhaps offer systems running Linux, but not during the initial stages.

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service