Does anyone have a good video or web resource on webcam do's and don'ts for students?

Views: 65

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No suggestions I'm, afraid but I would be interested in this too. I would also be interested to know what kind of technolgoy is being used. At one end of the scale I would like some sort of webcam with a zoom function and one student controlling the camera. I would also like a wireless microphone to be handed around for the best sound. After a reality check I suppose a simple webcam would do and the children can come up and present some element of a topic. All new to me and I would like any feedback.
I have used videoconferencing as much as possible. However, our timezones are so out of kilter with the northern hemisphere. However, we have skyped with NZ, Asia and USA, with just a small web camera and desktop microphone.
My students are initially shy so trying to push any etiquette initially would not be necessary. However, to ensure the conference flows well, we preplan with questions to ask the other global school.
Each school takes a turn to ask a question or to speak with the respective teacher organising that.
The teacher is responsible for ensuring that the students come to the camera and speak well into the microphone (students have to come right up to cameran and mic as they are not on long leads, camera is on a tripod) and that there is alway something happening. An interactive white board or a datashow and good sized screening area is a must.
Any pauses in the proceedings need to be filled in by the teacher.
Confidence needs to be established between all parties, so some pre emailing, blogging, comment sharing on blogs, live blogging all set the scene for a smooth delivery once at the conferencing stage.
We have just completed a show and tell videoconference which was a great success and has our 15-16 year old students just begging for more. Students from Australia and US brought an object to show and tell eg vegemite, a live Australian pet bird, toy koala, meat pie cf district flag, Disneyland souveneir, basketball shirt, baseball cap etc
Students are worded up on possible language and cultural differences, politeness in asking students on other side to repeat prior to the show and so far there have been no problems.
Organisation, confidence in each other and pre planning is the key.

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service