Hello Emma and others.

I think creating a network about Digital Pedagogy is an excellent idea because I believe as educators our focus should always be on improving teaching and learning. It is easy to get swept away in all the new "toys" available in the technology world and all the new web applications that keep popping up. They all have a serious "wow" factor. However, they are worth nothing unless they are thoughtfully integrated into successful teaching methods that challenge our students to improve their comprehension of important curricular concepts.

Thanks, Emma, for forming this network. I look forward to participating.

Tags: pedagogy

Views: 113

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Andrew
Thanks for your input and starting this discussion. I set up this group thinking I would get back to it and populate it with some stuff, but haven't got to that point yet!
I too am a strong believer that the teaching and learning is what matters, and that the focus should not be on the ICT or the tools (rather what they can do in the hands of a great teacher). I've been grappling with a definition of digital pedagogy for a while... i initially thought that there was no such thing - that there was effective pedagogy and poor pedagogy, and that either may or may not include the use of ICT. The more I explore the notion the more I understand that there is a need for the term digital pedagogy, because it acknowledges that a different mindset and new skillset is required for teachers to fully exploit the potential of ICT in teaching, learning and the curriculum.
Ok, more later - need to get ready for work!
Great to meet you and look forward to some interesting dialogue!
Emma
Hi Andrew
Thanks for your input and starting this discussion. I set up this group thinking I would get back to it and populate it with some stuff, but haven't got to that point yet!
I too am a strong believer that the teaching and learning is what matters, and that the focus should not be on the ICT or the tools (rather what they can do in the hands of a great teacher). I've been grappling with a definition of digital pedagogy for a while... i initially thought that there was no such thing - that there was effective pedagogy and poor pedagogy, and that either may or may not include the use of ICT. The more I explore the notion the more I understand that there is a need for the term digital pedagogy, because it acknowledges that a different mindset and new skillset is required for teachers to fully exploit the potential of ICT in teaching, learning and the curriculum.
Ok, more later - need to get ready for work!
Great to meet you and look forward to some interesting dialogue!
Emma
Hi,
I just joined this group and hope to have a stimulating discussion about a topic that interests me greatly! I am in the initial phase of my dissertation, which will be on technology, distance learning, and community colleges, specifically applications in English classes. (I told you it is the initial phase and obviously the topic needs some narrowing and honing.) But... I am really interested in the pedagogy that SHOULD drive the application of technology in classrooms. I have seen and experienced assignments that seemed to have no pedagogical purpose. It will be nice to hear the views of others and share my own ideas and experiences.

More later. I'm off to class to introduce on-line peer reviews to my freshman composition students.
Edith
Nice term - but what's its content? Is digital pedagogy using ICT to provide a different level of audience and interaction for our student's draft publications? Is digital pedagogy our use of ICT to deliver information and resources in different ways? I(and if so, what are the differences?) Is digital pedagogy our classroom's use of ICT to present new examplars of learning? I can't get a handle on it, so I'm just asking some questions! Social? - well, that can done in other modes. Collaborative? - that too. Interactive? - that too. The only new factor which I can think of is that we can draw in a wider community - contact with experts, interschool/town/state/nation/culture, so that dynamic learning is possible. For example, there's the chance that, not only can we study the book, but we can chat to the author as well. (Oh yes, and to repeat one of Will Richardson's aphorisms, with the read/write web, much of our learning comes after we publish.)
Are these two things enough to warrant a new phrase, or am I missing something deeper?
I'm keen to know, since we have a group beginning to talk about 'digital learning' and I'd like a foundation to work from. At the moment it's all rather vague.
Information and Communication(s) Technology. (People invented it to avoid using the word 'computers')

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service