When Google Wave finally releases later this year it is going to stir up things across almost every industry. It has tremendous implications for education and stands to be the most intuitive collaboration tool ever conceived. Check out my post on ISTEConnects and let me know what you think! How might this tool might shape the future of education? See you at NECC 2009 very soon!

Tags: #NECC09, Education, NECC, Technology, google

Views: 682

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm interested in the Wave but "ever conceived"?
:)
Kevin
haha um ok maybe that was over the top, but watch the video it is pretty amazing stuff. We are literally getting ready to cut a few hundred dollars a month in operating costs once Google Wave is ready, there is just so much it can do.
How will it change education? Examples?
Well for one thing I think having many users collaborating on the same project /document at the same time in multiple languages across multiple platforms opens the door for some amazing cross cultural learning. Teaching about France? Plug Google Wave into your wiki and invite French students to work with your students in real time with translations on the fly for both groups. Sure that can be done now, but not as close to real time as this is and not with out a tremendous amount of preliminary communication. It will be easy to jump into collaborative learning sessions any where you find them.

The possibilities are endless. Google Wave is open-source which means that if you create a demand for something the Wave should do a developer can create a module to serve your needs. Which is why blogging about what you think it can do and what you need it to do is very important.
In my school, it's going to be just one more thing to get firewalled. Every social network, blog, forum and personal email is blocked by default. This is why more teachers will go outside the fortress and use smartphones with 3 G.

And Google Wave will be a game changer outside of education. It'll put Facebook on the run and might even challenge twitter on some levels. It will be exciting to see the applications that get developed as this is an open source project. It might help to give online education more disruptive momentum.
I also think this will be the attitude of students. Imagine writing a paper on Russian history/culture by collaborating with educators in Russia as part of your research just by commenting on a russian educators blog that has a wave pluggin.
I think that Russian educators are just beginning to master the Google Wave.
But we have a group of "Google Wave Russia" and I hope that there will be not just web developers, but also teachers, psychologists, businessmen, politicians, etc. I invite all who are interested in - http://groups.google.com/group/google-wave-russia.
Though we're principally focused on Russia, feel free your to join and share your thoughts about Google Wave. You can write in our group in English, we understand you. :)
It is one of those where the technology can be absolutely brilliant...but it can all be stopped by a bureaucrat with a risk-management chart.
You know I've been hearing so much about this problem since I started blogging on ISTEConnects. It seems we firewall the networks to protect the students and we end up putting a mental Firewall on them. They can't reach out and they need to if they want to stay ahead of the global curve. The students that will excel are the ones that will find work-arounds. They will likely be the ones that can afford their own laptops and AirCards, which is a whole other socioeconomic issue in itself.
You know I thought the same thing too Joseph.

However the firewalls aren't there to protect the kids (as some teachers will have you believe). The Firewalls are in place because schools are responsible for all information created on school property. Meaning the are need to be able to archive every email/chat/document that anyone transmits. With the technology right now, there is no way for schools to archive things done on free email and social network sites. This is all done for legal reasons.

That's not to say those rules are followed (I know for a fact that some schools allow Google/Facebook/Twitter. Mostly because the IT guy thinks its stupid to set up proxies for those sites or the Principal wants it.). But in this case it's not really the schools stopping innovation, it's the courts making rules and the schools doing what they can to comply.

http://www.eschoolnews.com/resources/easy-email-archiving/easy-emai...
I can only imagine the legal rhetoric that is thrown around when discussing school polices for internet filtering. Thanks for that article it really clears things up!
Great post! I am also incredibly excited for Google Wave and, like you, was glued throughout the entire (fairly long) presentation about it. I can definitely see classroom's in the future having their own waves, where an instructor can talk to students and share resources and vice-versa. Not only that but having people from outside the class come in and collaborate would be incredibly powerful too.

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service