I am the new IT manager of a small (220 students) Private Catholic High
School near Santa Cruz, CA. I am looking for ideas on creating a
Technology Plan. We have recently formed a committee and we are at the
early stage. Any views or opinions are greatly received. If it isn't TOP
SECRET maybe you could share yours with us. Or, if you are local, maybe
we could come to your school for a visit.

Thanks

Views: 245

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dear J Watson,

As an AV supplier, I have reviewed many technology plans on the web.

Almost every district in the US has their technology plan posted as a pdf document.

Take a look at a few, and you'll gain a lot of insight, especially if your are starting from scratch.

JJC
Thanks "C",

Wise advice, that never crossed my mind! "Not the first time, of course!"

JJC
I am the Tech Director of Carondelet High School in Concord, CA. We are not much into writing plans but we have a pretty good idea of where to go with technology.
The primary thing you must do is be committed to a student centered curriculum. Technology is not much more than a toy if the teachers are unwilling to get off their podiums and allow the students to become part of the learning process. In most schools this is the most difficult transition. It must be addressed in the plan.
Beyond that, give your teachers laptops, install projectors, screens and sound systems. Prepare for mass storage. We have a blade server system and SAN boxes with ever increasing terabytes of storage. Increase the size of your Internet pipe. The cheapest is Comcast. If you don’t have that or need more reliability, look at bonded T1’s or a T3. Begin installing a wireless network. Cisco is still by far the best in our estimation. Expensive, but worth it. Plan for supporting a 1:1 laptop program.
Train your teachers as much as you can. The secret is to find at least one “killer” lesson for each teacher. Once they see that there is at least one lesson that works so much better with technology you will have them hooked. This is the second most difficult part of the process.
Let me know if you would like to talk some more or come up for a visit. Or we can do an online video chat.
I would suggest checking out other small private and public schools in the area. If you are not a member of SVCUE, you might want to join. There is a great Cue conference coming up in November. You are in an area with a wealth of technology resources.

http://svcue.org/
You can find my school's tech plan for last year here http://www.ecboe.org/211020513153618603/site/default.asp. I am currently developing this year's plan with the help of my tech committee. It will not be available till the end of October, but it will be basically the same. The goals will be all that changes.
The administrative computers are counted in the data for the state department, but they do not count toward the classroom count. The plan is a standard format throughout my system where I plug in the information for my school.
One tool I would use to do this plan is webspiration. This way you can collaborate together in your planning.
Hi Mel,

I work for Glogster EDU. We offer a web-based platform that allows students and teachers to design and create projects across the curriculum spectrum using multi-media drag/drop technology. It has been very well-received, especially at the elementary school level. If you are interested in learning a bit more about Glogster EDU, please visit our website www.edu.glogster.com or reach out to me directly leo.evriviades@glogster.com

Best,

Leo
Dear J Watson,

I have just been given a 2 page paper titled "Overview of Sustainable Technology", written by Ms. Debbie Tschirgi, Director of Educational Technology Programs, Educational Service Division, District 112 Washington State.
It is an overview of what works and what is worth the investment. It may help you in formulating a plan for your school.
Please email me vised@optonline.net and I will forward it to you.

John J Caprice
Hi CP,

Well, that does not appear to be the design of the paper, There is no comparison of cost vs. outcomes. It is more of an analysis of choosing technologies that do not age out or technology that does not need continual trainning. There are NO BRAND NAMES mentioned or implied. It is just a sensible overview.

If you would like to read it please let me know. You will NOT be put on a list!
vised@optonline.net

JJC
Dear CP,
Email received and replied to.....pdf file attachment.

Let me know what your thoughts are..JJC
Hey CP!

I agree with you, however,,,When one starts from scratch in any endeavor, one should seek advice and guidance.
Rather recommend various promotions for products deisguised as helpful advice, one needs to start with a framework. It needs to be simple.

Classroom Technology is a complicated mix of computers, AV equipment, and software, that will aid and embelish the learning experience. (WE HOPE)
This entire website is packed with teachers reaching out for help, advice and cooperation from other teachers.
So lets put together a plan, from scratch, assuming that there is a budget restriction.
First: the essentials, a computer and a projector. One gives us access to vast resources and the other allows everyone to see! We can now refine the choice of computer by fomat, make and model and we can refine our projector by resolution, brightness, warranty and placement in the class.(ceiling/wall or cart). Conservatively, that's $1,000.00 to $1500.00 per class, depending upon installation fees.

What's next??? Document camera, Hooks up to the computer and the projector, easy presentations for the teacher and student. Now we have some interactivity, the teacher can project on a screen or whiteboard while facing the class or in the middle of class.

NOW! Third, Fourth and Fifth!.....There's a lot of horses in this TRI-FECTA.
Here are the contenders: PA audio / Wireless headphones for hearing impaired students / Pen-Tablet Boards / Student Response Systems / iPods and iPhones.
(I'm sure that I left out one or two Classroom GIZMOS)

OOPS! We have to stick in a computer lab,,,,,

LAST to spend $$$$$ on= Interactive Whiteboards! My opinion of course.
Reasons:
A) Expensive Products (There are some cheap old models available) But the school is looking at $2500.00 each at a minimum.
B) Trainning is mandatory, initial traiing sessions are free, then additional trainning costs $$$$$$$$.
C) Software upgrades, may be free at first, but that is not guaranteed.

When I visit a school for a demo, I always observe my surroundings. The two products that are most UNUSED! Interactive Whiteboards and Plotter Printers.
The most common responses on the IWB....Nobody knows how to use it!
The single response on the Plotters! It Broke and its not in warranty! Makes a nice shelf for potted plants though.

So let's recap and add up the numbers!
Laptop $600.00 (i'm guessing here)
LCD/DLP projector 2200 lumnes XGA $550.00) (NAME BRAND / NO BID)
Spare Bulb $159.00
Document Camera (NAME BRAND / NO BID) $579.00

Total $1888.00 per classroom.

On a BID, we could probably knock off another $150-$200 per setup.

I am treating technology as a "tool" based subject. BUT! These are the tools that can introduce technology into the classroom for enhanced learning and interest.

Is "technology" a subject or is it a term that encompasses, Math / Physics / Electronics / Critical Thinking / and Human Creativity, the introduction of new knowledge based on the understanding of the basics.

I've read that we need to equip our children with "21st Century Tools"
I believe that these tools are the old stanbys.....Literacy, Math, Ethics, Composition, Arts and Sciences....They already know how to Tweet, Facebook and intergrate all these "tools" into every moment of their lives.

Maybe, just Maybe..If the economy gets worse, they'll have to pass notes to each other on scrap paper again....Take a hard look at your wireless bill....Hmmm iPhone or Food....

JJC

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service