Working on a 2.0 project to establish a "Virtual Learning Magnet in Space Science and Mathematics". The first course is a physics course where all the content of the course will be associated with aeronautics, space, aviation and related areas. We are trying to establish a very 2.0 environment where students learn together across geographic bounds, have choice over the content they will use to learn the "Big Ideas" and where students use all the tech tools available to learn at the highest levels. Does anyone know how I can get in touch with "2.0 Physics Teachers" who are just waiting for the chance to use a 2.0 mindset to help bring the shift from the Age of Schooling to the Age of Learning?

Tags: 2.0, Physics, Science, environments, learning

Views: 73

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Interesting idea. I used to use a ning with my Physics class over the last 2 years. I'll forward you link on to my colleagues in Physics here at saltash.net
Thanks, Dave. This is a project under the auspices of the Council of Chief State School Officers (CCSSO) and has the potential to impact learners everywhere. After the initial proof of concept this winter, the course will be offered on a performance-based format (student get the credit as soon as they have demonstrated that they know the concepts, and the "Chiefs" have pledged to see that the students will have the course appropriately transcripted on their high school transcript. We have the shell of the course established and are right now working under a NASA grant to begin populating the content repository. I'm going to post the current version of the course so you can share it.
Thanks for your interest!

Tom
Hi Thomas. David Strasburger is a talented and tech-savvy Physics teacher who incorporates a wiki, Smartboard, and various software into student-centered activities. For instance, his students conduct and film experiments and share them with others via the wiki, and other means. I suggest you visit his wikis: Conceptual Physics and AP Physics
I could put you in touch with him. Just contact me.
Hi Tom,
Just had a look at David's Physics work. Looks great and I would love to see if he would be interested in collaborating with us. Please put me in touch with him!

Thanks!

Tom
Hi Thomas. In New South Wales we do contextual topic called "Space", which is about getting into space. I have a wiki for teachers at http://www.hscphysics.wikispaces.com/ and my students are very interested in interacting with other Physics students outside Australia. I'll forwardyour link onto all my colleagues.
Hi Galen,
Thanks for your response. It would be great to have your students interact with ours. The course we are offering will start in the middle of January with about 50 students from 14 states in the U.S. And by all means forward the link to your colleagues!
I am posting v. 14 of our new Physics course, designed around 8 "Big Ideas". This is a very different course, even from "traditional" virtual courses. We are hoping to make the course as 2.0 as possible, and for that reason we are actively soliciting additional content and support for every aspect of the course.

The course, developed with a supporting grant from NASA, will be offered as a Proof of Concept this winter, beginning in January, to approximately 50 students from 12 states, DC and the Dept of Defense Schools. It is only semi-linear. By that, we mean that each student must be able to demonstrate and understanding of all 8 Big Ideas by the end of the course. They need to understand the concepts of Big Idea 1 (Kinematics) before going on to Big Idea 2. Once those are clearly understood, the student may choose to do Big Idea 3 OR Big Idea 4 next. Once those are both understood, the remaining four Big Ideas may be done in any order, or simultaneously, according to the student's choice.

We invite anyone in the world to be involved as we develop this course and subsequent courses in the Virtual Learning Magnets. Just contact me for more information.
Attachments:
Tom- My name is Bud Talbot, and I am a former high school physics teacher and now a doctoral candidate in science education at the University of Colorado at Boulder. My main areas of interest are science teacher (sp. physics) knowledge and assessment of teachers and students.

This physics course sounds interesting. I looked over your v14 document. Does the course design include some sort of assessment plan? I wonder how the students will be assessed and how they will demonstrate that they understand the concepts of each Big Idea. From your comments above, assessment sounds very performance-based. Who will the assessors be?
Hey Bud, Thanks for your interest. I'd love to talk with you more about this. The assessment piece is key, and we have several approaches we are considering. While non-certified teachers may help "cause" the learning, we are planning to have certified physics teachers as the primary assessors. You are correct in that we anticipate the assessment being very performance-based and we would welcome your suggestion and input in that area. Perhaps it can include some of the ideas you are pursuing in your current doctoral studies.

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service