AUTISM WITHIN THE CLASSROOM- CAN IT HAVE A DETRIMENTAL EFFECT ON OTHER LEARNERS?

I am currently doing an Action Research Project based around Autistic students within Performing Arts. There are so many benefits that drama/acting can bring to people with an Autism Spectrum Disorder, but do you think that there is a possibility that other learners within the classroom may be faced with the adverse effects of this scenario? 

I would love some fellow teachers opinions on the matter. 

Views: 152

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Art is inherited and it dosent matter you are normal  or not god has made equal inclination for art, I feel such people have more inclination towards art they love it they have more better creativity as they  mind always work like a child,so they are better learners.

Hi Ellie,

I think this situation would have both pros and cons for the other learners.

Throughout a career within the performing arts actors etc are likely to be faced with working alongside people from all walks of life and therefore this could be a benefit in preparing them for this scenario. I believe there are also a great number of performing arts students who go on to do some form of teaching and this experience may also help them on that front.

On the other hand, the attention and adaptation of a session needed for an autistic learner (depending on the scale of their autism) could hold other learners back. There are of course ways around this such as extension tasks etc but I feel it may affect the atmosphere of the class and within the ensemble based environment of the performing arts this could cause issues.

Its hard to generalise when autism comes in so many shapes and forms but I think if the environment is professional and all learners feel that they have someone to talk to if they feel an issue arises then there shouldn't be an issue.

Hope this helps

Emma

Yes, as 'tolerance' of other students might be tested in times of stress.  The division of time by the tutor would have to be perfect.

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service