In a world of technology, computers, and robots, it seems that it would be a simple task for any classroom educator to incorporate computers and technology into his or her classroom. However, this task is not quite so simple for the teacher of art. So the question is: How can an art teacher effectively incorporate technology into the classroom beyond photoshop and powerpoint? Is it even necessary for an art classroom to have all of the technological advancements of the modern age? Artists have been doing alright for hundreds of years without all of the computers, so what is the big deal?

Tags: art

Views: 1803

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I hadn't seen that website before -- thanks for linking to it Nancy! I also like the Moodle idea -- very cool!

I did check the MFAH site (mfah.org) and the gallery feature is still there. If you register you are able to create your own "gallery" of work from their collections.
I think this has art potential http://www.magicstudio.co.uk/. Never used it but looks really cool. One of the other cool things I've seen is the division of a painting into sections using flickr. Each person comments on a different portion of the painting. I'm looking for the link---it's on Classroom 2.0 somewhere---I'll dig it up.
20 minutes later---I found it!! I'm a very visual person and this is one of the coolest applications I've seen using Web 2.0 tools.http://flickr.com/photos/ha112/234233755/ I've seen others like a Laura Engels Wilder "desktop" set up with different items on it--kids commented using hotspots on how Wilder would use the different items as a writer. Given enough time I could find the link for that one too.
Just another idea ...I recently took Voicethread.com for a spin and you could do a similar project like this with this web 2.0 application -- but this product allows you to use voice (via cell phone or microphone) or text. You show a picture and then viewers comment on it. It becomes a collaborative effort. I think this would be the bomb in an art class!!
Walk into any gallery in Chelsea to see the results of artists using technology to create all manner of digital projections, sculptures, photographs and interactive media and video... all to great effect.
In Renaissance Italy, oil painting was the most advanced technology for depicting images. In the 21st century there are many ways that images are created. As a former art teacher (I spent the first half of my teaching career teaching art, set design, printmaking and mechanical drawing) who now teaches entirely with digital tools: Photoshop, Architecture, Animation, Claymation and video I can say that art infuses my practice daily as a technology teacher.
I presented a workshop to our city's art teachers in December. I talked about Photo Story and have a template on my blog for an "ArtSpace" project that all the fourth and fifth grade students worked on for three weeks: http://ppsblogs.net/brianmckee
I have several technology tools in my artroom. They are available simply as tools, just like paintbrushes. Students use them as needed.
Computers: to look up pictures of things they want to draw (we can't look at live elephants or dolphins here in rural Kansas!), to blog on topics I post or respond to their classmates comments, to write artist statements, to work on their digital portfolio, to edit photos,
Digital Cameras and Webcams - to take pictures of their artwork for their artist statements & digital portfolios, I often take their photos for various self-portrait assignments (more so for my elementary classes rather than my HS ones), to take photos of things they want to draw/paint in their artwork that they cannot observe live, for digital projects, to create stop-motion animation
Video Cameras - video production
Smartboard - to play art games, discuss and analyze artwork, to demonstrate concepts (perspective is great to teach on the Smartboard
Document Camera - to analyze/discuss artwork, note taking
Scanner - to digitalize photos & drawings
Wacom Tablet - for photo editing, or when I'm just too lazy to go up to the computer at the front of the room to share something, so I just run the computer with the tablet
Polycam and TV - this is my distance learning equipment, but I couldn't teach 3 schools live simultaneously without them
I use technology constantly throughout the day, and I expect my students to as well. I have tried hard to make the technology in my classroom just another tool, and use it as needed. My students have 100% access to any and all equipment. If you want to see what other art teachers are doing in their classroom I suggest you join http://arted20.ning.com . BTW - in my tiny rural district, I have 50% of the technology stuff in my room because I am the one who uses it. Most art teachers that I know have webpages as well. Good luck with your student teaching!
As a photographer and a musician, I have seen the new tech tools make the execution and capture of ideas much easier over the last 30 years. The ideas to execute have always been and always will be the problem.

Have you looked at TED? There are artists (and other creative people) on this site sharing ideas that may start something for your students. www.ted.com The Golan Levin talk is interesting.
Just as with music, you can create using what you have always used, but if you open your mind to the possibilities of enhancing the art process, I believe you will be suprised how quickly your students will learn. Use of the projection system will allow all of your student to see the actual process, sharing digital images to enhance the learning process, online historical information about a particular artist, ....... the list goes on. I presently teach elem music and do not want to go back to the pre-tech era!
As a High School Creative Crafts teacher I find it frustrating that technology is becomming increasingly popular in art. By definition a craft does not require computer technology, it is a hand built item. I personally do not feel you can replace a hands on, problem solving experience with a computer program. I find that my students love that when they are finished with a project they have something tangable, and leave the room with something other than work on their flash drive.
"Is it even necessary for an art classroom to have all of the technological advancements of the modern age?"

This is a question I consider very often, I think technology will never (hopefully) become a dominant classroom tool. Traditional media, crafts and such will not benefit from a strong technological component, but new media classes will obviously rely heavitly on it.
I think it all comes down to what you're teaching.

Mike Sacco
Paul J. Gelinas JHS
Setauket, Ny
I am an art teacher and an artist. I teach drawing and painting in a traditional style. Yet technology enhances everything I do in the art room. Here are a just few projects we have actually done in class using the computer.
1. imovie documentary: using images, information found on the internet, and creating voiceovers and music (in Garageband) make a documentary about an artist
2. self portaits: take digital photos of each other, print the photos off in black and white, create a grid and draw or paint a self portrait
3. a project for surrealism: print off images found on the internet, adjust the size in Word, print the images, glue them to a paper in juxtapostions and use it as a reference for a drawing or painting.
4. photos of student art work downloaded to school web site for electronic gallery
5. Electronic portfolios: photos of student art work burned to a cd and sent for scholarships, to be juried for art shows, and competitions.
I also teach graphic design. I have found that art and computers make wonderful buddies, and am very grateful for the Mac lab in my art room. Even though we didn't have computers 200 years ago, well, we didn't have cars either-and I sure glad we have them, too!

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service