I am trying to expose my colleagues to great open source (or otherwise free) software. So far they use or have access to Moodle, Audacity, Sketchup, Google Earth, Tuxpaint, and of course Firefox. For web site maintenance we use Joomla! We have MS Office, so Open Office and friends are not really necessary. I have contemplated exposing them to The Gimp, or Gimpshop, but for most elementary classrooms that would be primarily a teacher tool.

I am looking for tools that would be especially good to use with elementary students. What other great classroom tools should I share with them?

Tags: elementary, open, oss, software, source

Views: 735

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi!

If you want to, take a look at:

- JING: Screen capture and screen casting

- PREZI: Zooming Presentation Editor

- DVOLVER MOVIEMAKER

- Paint.NET

- Xtranormal: Convert text to movie

- AVIDEMUX: multi-format, cross-platform video editor designed for simple cutting

See you!

:D

damiana
Does anybody have comparable software to Creative Suite 4?
I would like to introduce some Open Source Web based ("cloud") solutions for schools:

eyeOS 2.0 - An open source web based OS with 'office' applications for collaboration and communication (eyeDocs etc) - Although version 2.0.0 is still in beta it can be tried at http://beta.eyeos.info/
I believe that eyeOS will provide a credible open source alternative to Google Docs that will allow users (and schools) to maintain control of their own data.

CAMEMIS - open source school information management system. Version 1.0 is due for release in June and it will be available in several different languages. I have been tracking the development of several open source school information systems (OpenSIS, OpenAdmin etc.) but I believe that CAMEMIS will become the leader in this field. I was so impressed by the development that I joined the development team! You can preview CAMEMIS at www.camemis.com.

These and other Open Source Solutions for schools have been included in our Open4Ed initiative and can be seen at www.open4ed.com

Regards,
Clive Roberts BSc(hons), MA Int Ed.

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service