For the past several months, in consultation with dozens of educators, we have been researching ways to make Diigo more accessible to the education community, and to make Diigo a more integral part of collaborative learning in the school environment.

Today, there is a classroom2.0 workshop going on in PA. To make the new features accessible to the participants, we are happy to announce the release of Diigo Educator Accounts, a suite of features that makes it incredibly easy for teachers to get their entire class of students started on collaborative research using Diigo’s powerful web annotation and social bookmarking technology.

Specifically, once approved for a Diigo Educator Account

* A teacher can create student accounts for an entire class with just a few clicks (and student email addresses are optional for account creation)

* Students of the same class are automatically set up as a Diigo group so they can start using all the benefits that a Diigo group provides, such as group bookmarks and annotations, and group forums.

* To protect the privacy of students, student accounts have special settings which only allow their teachers and classmates to contact them and access their personal profile information.

* Ads presented to student account users are limited to education-related sponsors.

You can check out and apply for a free Diigo Educator account at http://www.diigo.com/education

You can also check out FAQ and Getting Started tutorial for Diigo Educator Accounts.

Bob Wolf, of The Boston Consulting Group, and a researcher on the use of internet in public education recently commented: “We believe that Web2.0 technologies will define and be defined by the skill requirements of the 21st century workforce. It is time to understand whether models have emerged for using these tools that are superior to traditional classroom teaching alone and what are the best approaches for the practitioner to implement them.”

Among the web 2.0 technologies, we believe that Diigo provides a unique collaborative research and learning platform that will be valuable in all aspects of information processing, from discovering, digesting, organizing, sharing, collaborating to interacting, which are all essential skills for 21st centuary workforce.

With the release of the first phase of Diigo Educator Accounts, we look forward to collaborating with leading educators to explore the full potential of Diigo as an educational tool. Going forward, we will continue to work with our education community to define the next phase of Diigo for Education. If you’re an educator, we'd like to invite you to give it a shot. And, as always, love to hear from you and let us know what you think!

Maggie
co-founder
Diigo

Tags: Diigo, Web Annotation, social bookmarking, web2.0

Views: 354

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My students will be accessing their accounts this week. I am changing my two classes to one class so that they can share bookmarks between classes.
Will the students still be able to access their accounts next year even though they won't have me as a teacher?
Yes, unless you request to have their student accounts deleted, or to convert to a regular account, so that they can keep their data and access.

By the way, have you created their student accounts through the Teacher Console and added them to a class group?
I tried to sign up but since my school email doesn't have k12.ks.us it wouldn't let me register. Yikes!
Nancy,

Please email me, I will help you with a workaround and get you started.

Sorry, school email suffixes are very tricky, but we also like to have some filtering system to deter potential abuse. As you can understand, we try hard to filter and qualify applicants to deter any potential abuse, so that it will be a great knowledge platform that all educators and their students can enjoy... We will take extra effort to assist anyone with any issue. Thanks for your understanding.
Thanks for the info. I just signed up for a teacher account and hope to use this with my classes soon!
Very cool Maggie. I'd like to get some teachers using Diigo with classes. This will help.
Just a heads up: Maggie Tsai has just agreed to participate in Pass-Ed's first show on "The Future of Schooling." The show will be posted at my blog: http://www.pass-ed.com/blogger.html. If it's OK with others, I can also post this show on the Classroom 2.0 blog.
This looks fabulous and wonderful to share with students. I don't have access to students so I won't be applying for an account just yet but I really think the education version is awesome and will enable students to collaborate and share in a very safe and efficient manner. Kudos to the developers!

Kim Caise, NBCT
http://kcaise.wordpress.com
Maggie,

Any benefits or functions for educational groups/websites? We are already using Diigo for bookmarking for EFL / ESL teachers. Just wondering what , in addition to groups, diigo educator accounts would provide. Thanks for thinking of the educational side of things.

David
http:/eflclassroom.ning.com

How has diigo worked in Special Education settings?

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service