The Classroom 2.0 community is eager to know about new Web2.0 and other computing tools as they are developed and improved. Please tell us about yourself, your company, and the tool(s) you've developed that we can make good use of in helping our students learn.

Tags: developer, Web2.0, economics, finance, gaming, introduction, personal, software

Views: 65

Replies to This Discussion

Special thanks to Skip for creating this venue. Application developers like HAIKU are starving for ways to get people to try our software. haiku LMS is a LMS 2.0 application. Developed with Ruby on Rails and using AJAX technology, haiku LMS is fast (like desktop software) and easy (like most Web 2.0 apps).

Educators may us our online software for free, or pay for added features, storage space and classes. Individual accounts make it easy for anyone to use, and corporate accounts are available for school/district/campus-wide use.

An exhaustive feature list is available at our website. Here are a few of the available features:
•Discussions (Class, Groups, 1 - on - 1)
•Secure Inbox
•Secure Dropbox
•Student & Parent Access
•Drag & Drop CMS
•Content Blocks of Images, Text, Links, Files, Audio, Video
•Integration with Flickr, Google Video, Odeo & YouTube
•Calendar Events & Assignments
•Announcements
•Email Notifications

Upcoming features include:
•GradeBook & Attendance
•Quiz Creator & Grader
•Shared Teaching Classes
•Shared Content (i.e., SCORM Learning Objects)
•Social networking among educators

Future versions of haiku LMS will roll out every six to nine months. We do extensive User Testing and on each feature and we welcome Classroom 2.0 members to participate. Drop me an email and let me know what you think of haiku LMS.
Skip,
Thanks for giving the chances for us to make introduction to us and more importantly, the tools we have developed.

We are a company that develops eductional software in these categories.

1. Presentation Tools
2. Media Creation Tool
3. Capture & Recording
4. Quiz & Test Authoring

From the first release of our software, we upgrade our software continuously. And all the upgrade plans are
based on the feature requests and feedback we get from our end users and resesllers.

I guess most of you guys here are in the education field and I would like to invite you to evaluate our free trial and send us your feedback at huangyn@wondershare.com

For teachers and students and other non-profit users, we offer academic discounts.

First we may talk about something about quizzing software.

Currently we have QuizCreator that creates multimedia quizzes with images, screenshots, narrations, music and Flash animations. Of course, you can use hyperlinks in the questions.

This is tutorial of using narrations and music in QuizCreator.
http://www.sameshow.com/quiz-creator/article.php?id=40

In terms of document integration, you can import questions from an Excel and publish the quiz as a Word.

And quiz reporting is the feature that wins the most praises among our customers.
When any quiz taker completes a quiz, all the quiz results can be sent either to a email and multiple emails or a web database.

Both the students and teachers can have email reporting while database reporting is usualy for advanced data analysis.
Here is the tutorial about email reporting in QuizCreator.
http://www.sameshow.com/quiz-creator/quiz-creator-email-reporting.html

And about database reporting using ASP or PHP
http://www.sameshow.com/quiz-creator/quiz-creator-database.html

Looking for LMS Compliance?
Currently our educational tools create teaching and learning content with SCORM/AICC compliance.
We are an official SCORM Adopter.
That also means that any content generated by these tools can be used on most popular LMS, Learning Management System, like WebCT or Moodle.
Thanks for this opportunity to link with educators. MoneyU is a game-delivered financial literacy application intended to help young adults understand and practice criticial financial skills. The game delivers up to 12 hours of highly interactive content using financial widgets, simulations and videos. Educators are invited to take a full-featured demonstration of the course at www.moneyu.net. The game has been mapped to all available state and national financial literacy standards.

Grffiin Enterprises is committed to helping educators address one of the most vexing economic challenges: widespread financial illiteracy that is costing Americans billions of dollars, lost productivity and altered lives.
Hello
Thanks for the chance for E-learning vendors like us.
I'm Mark from PowerPoint to DVD/Video Team, E-learning Division, Wondershare Software.
Below are the products we developed.

PowerPoint to DVD :
Wondershare PPT2DVD (Formerly named PowerPoint2DVD) lets non-technical users create DVD disc by adding narration and interactivity to a standard PowerPoint file.
http://www.ppt-to-dvd.com/ppt2dvd/overview.html

PowerPoint to Video :
Wondershare PPT to Video is an all-in-one PowerPoint to video converter. It can convert PowerPoint presentations to almost all popular video formats such as MPEG, AVI, MP4, WMV, MOV, 3GP with excellent quality.
http://www.ppt-to-dvd.com/ppt-to-video-overview.html

PowerPoint to YouTube:
Wondershare PPT to YouTube
Convert PowerPoint slide show to YouTube video
Support PowerPoint to WMV, MP4 video
http://www.ppt-to-dvd.com/powerpoint-to-youtube-overview.html

Other PowerPoint conversion tools:

PowerPoint to iPod

PowerPoint to iPhone

PowerPoint to Apple TV

PowerPoint to Pocket PC

PowerPoint to PSP

PowerPoint to BlackBerry

PowerPoint to Zune
My application is a little different than a typical web 2.0 tool, but is very much informed by the 2.0 movement. It's a website that allows to teachers to buy and sell original teaching materials, content and curricula such as lesson plans, unit plans, projects, PopwerPoint presentations and exams. It's like an eBay for teachers and teacher-created materials.

It's called http://www.TeachersPayTeachers.com

Yes, the spirit of 2.0 is about open source and free sharing but it's also about grassroots empowerment. Bloggers now compete with news organizations. Digital cameras make moviemakers out of anybody. Likewise with TpT, teachers can now compete with the big educational publishers. This phenomenon is part of the essence of what we mean when we say Web 2.0.

Teachers work hard and deserve better compensation. We say, share freely with your local colleagues but bundle some of your stuff and post it on TpT for sale to the rest of the country for reasonable prices. It's working for many on our site who have sold thousands in 'teaching products'. That means there are many teachers out there who are happy to trade a buck or two for great materials they can't find otherwise and don't have time to create. Lots of free downloads are made available, too, and the community manages quality, not us, through a ratings and comments system.

TpT simply provides that extra incentive to make your materials even better AND available to the world.

If anyone has any questions about the service, send me a message through Classroom 2.0 or email me at info@teacherspayteachers.com.

Best,

Paul Edelman
Former 7th Grade Literacy Teacher, NYC Public Schools
Founder, http://www.TeachersPayTeachers.com
Thanks for this discussion!

I am not a vendor, but I'm interested in learning more about what vendors are doing.

I'm a school psychologist who returned to school a few years ago to take computer classes part-time, partly because I wanted to create interactive multimedia applications, including games, for education. I've presented workshop on topics such as "Interactive Multimedia Technology: A Tool for Intervention and Prevention" , "Serious Games", and "Data-Driven Decision-Making".

I'm interested developing web-based applications that can be optimized for use on large screen displays and whiteboards, traditional monitors, and hand-held/mobile devices. I want my applications to work as a system and support multi-user interaction and communication.

Ideally, I'd like to integrate my applications with a user-friendly data-collection/analysis and progress monitoring system. I'd also like to see multi-touch table-top computing enter the classroom.

Because of my background, I have a strong interest in developing applications that support Universal Design for Learning. I'm an advocate of user-centered design and universal usability.

About 80% of the application demos and prototypes I've created have been for my class projects. I'm playing around with Windows Presentation Foundation and Silverlight. I've also used Flash and XNA Express.

I'm taking a computer science course in information visualization and visual communication this semester, and I've just started to explore Processing.

I've previously taken courses in game design, AI for games, programming, computer multimedia, computer music technology, HCI, ubicomp, internet programming, database applications, virtual reality for education/training, distance education & online communication tools, etc. etc.

I was thinking that members of Classroom 2.0 would be a great resource for testing out my applications in the future, but I wasn't sure how to go about this.

Lynn

My blogs:
TechPsych
Interactive Multimedia Technology
Technology-Supported Human-World Interaction

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service