Well, it's almost the end of the summer. I can't believe it went so fast, but I did read some great books. Here's a quick list of the ones I'd recommend:

Wikinomics - This is a great book about the power of mass collaboration to change the world. This is the kind of book that really has the power to change a person's life. Since reading it, I've become keenly interested in the open educational resources movement. I've started developing some copyleft licensed resources and plan to do more in the future.

The Starfish and the Spider - A book about leaderless organizations. This was a very quick read and was thought-provoking. It profiled a selection of diverse organizations, both contemporary and historical.

Everything is Miscellaneous - An interesting read about how digital searching and tagging is changing things. This covered everything from why the Dewey Decimal system may not be relevant any more to how playlists could be a model for so many things. At first, reading this book made me think about how educational content could be indexed and organized in a myriad different ways to meet the needs of different teachers and learners. By the end of the book, I questioned the whole current paradigm of learning and what is considered knowledge.

Faster - A book about how society is speeding up more and more every day. This one made me want to move to somewhere on the wide open prairie and take a five-year long hiatus (and maybe never come back).

The World is Flat - Enough has been said about this book, that I don't have more to contribute, but I do think that the importance of this book lives up to the hype.

Three Cups of Tea - This had nothing to do with 2.0 or even technology, but since I heard about it on this forum I thought I'd include it here. It is about education, world culture, and humanitarianism. Along with Wikinomics, this was the most important book I read this summer.

Sidenote: I read most of these books on my handheld....lots of hours on a plane this summer.

So what did you all read and like this summer?

Views: 21

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service