We at WeAreTeachers are greatly influenced by the ideas of "The Long Tail". We are very interested in enabling Long Tail economics for the world of educational products using the incredible resource of the worldwide teaching community. Both these new books extend and explain Long Tail concepts.

The first is The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable by Nassim Nicholas Talib. This highly anticipated book describes how large changes happen due to 'improbable" events that change our understanding. Evolution, History, Economy, and Society all "jump" when these things happen and enormous opportunities are presented.

The 2nd Book is Everything Is Miscellaneous: The Power of the New Digital Disorder by David Weinberger. This book expounds on the concepts of dealing with complexity by communities organizing information from widely disparate sources. The result is a much more powerful way to make choices and deal with today's almost infinite variety. I've been lucky enough to meet to collaborate with Dave and I always welcome his insight.

Views: 32

Replies to This Discussion

I'm very slowly savoring Nassim Talib's Fooled by Randomness. It's been marketed as a business book, but the ideas he shares can radically change anyone's view of their experience and worldview. I'm looking forward to reading The Black Swan next.
"The Black Swan" is a fascinating topic, but the real pleasant surprise about the book for me is what an entertaining writer Talib tends to be, this in not one of those books you slog through trying to digest the ideas. It has real wit and charm along with arresting ideas.

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service