I am in need of some practical applications for these tools. I think if I can give my teachers some ideas as to how to work these tools into their lessons it would start the ball rolling.

Anything...no matter how small, will help. Right now they just think I gave the kids emails.

I am working in a middle school...6th - 8th grades.

Views: 1298

Replies to This Discussion

Age has nothing to do with it. I'm old and I feel like the lone ranger in cyberville.
One of the coolest uses I've seen is our math teacher using a form for kids to enter their homework answers. He has them do the problems on paper, but enter their answers in the form. That way, he knows what problems the kids had trouble with BEFORE he even goes to class. He doesn't have to collect papers and try to look them over before he can address difficulties. He's doing it with MS kids and they apparently LOVE seeing the results spreadsheet to see who submitted their answers first (since they are time stamped). The teacher also can see if certain kids are always doing homework at 11pm, or in study hall the period before.
As a former math teacher, I'm LOVING that idea! I'm passing it on. Thanks!
I also use the forms feature in Google Docs for developing surveys assessing whether or not my adult learners (can be used with any level of learners) have read required readings. I would image you could also use it for a test. The nice thing about the survey is it does not look like a test and you can call it anything but a test. I have also used it with a Differentiated Instruction course I developed as a pre-assessment.
A simple project that you can do is teach your students about Google Docs. Have them create a small presentation and a word document that they can save to their Google Docs account. It will be accessible from school and from home. I have my students using this in and out of school now. Let's face it, I have 2007 MS Office on my home computer, but at school we have Office 2003. Some students are using Office 2010 at home. By using Google Docs, you always the same file version, where it can be accessed anywhere you have an internet connection. It cuts out the need to save work on a USB drive where it can get lost. The best part about google docs is that students can all work on the same project and collaborate. One copy is saved and all the students have the same document in the end to work from. Check out Google Docs, you'll love it!! The kids like it too!!
Jan - try this tips from Richard Byrne- this great material

http://www.freetech4teachers.com/p/free-downloads.html

I introduced google apps for education to our middle school this year and use it in my 8th grade science classes. Like many others have already stated I've used forms to create surveys and tests, docs to replace worksheets and lab reports, and we've created presentations and a couple of websites. One of the really great uses is that while students are working I can circulate the room checking their work on my iphone. This makes it so easy for me to check on their progress and understanding and focus my attention where it is needed most.

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service