Can educators use this service?
January 1st I made a resolution to take and post one photo everyday for the next 365 days. I never imagined how much I would enjoy my resolution. Somehow, this little act, helps me concentrate on all of the good things in my life during this time of educational uncertainty.
Through my twitter PLN I learned of a great service offered by ShutterCal. ShutterCal 365 is a calendar-based daily photography project. The developers of this brilliant website have made it easy for their users to upload and journal about their photos. I knew that word, journal, would get your attention.
Recently, I had a discussion with Scott from ShutterCal. He is one of the original developers of the website and is very helpful. I asked him if he had ever considered a ShutterCal 184. I suggested that there may be educators who would be interested in using their service for the 184 days we are in session. (Ohio Schools)
  • Teachers could assign a daily student photographer to take one photo of the day. The photo can then be uploaded to the site during the evening so the student will be able to journal about it the next day.
  • If you are fortunate to teach in a lab that is equipped with web cams, students could take a photo of themselves and journal daily.
  • Art teachers could have an artist of the day and post a photo of their work.
  • Teachers could have a student of the day and post their photo. The student would be responsible to journal about themselves.
ShutterCal offers a monthly printing service that I believe educators and parents will be interested in. I wish I had a photo journal of my first year of teaching. How different would my photo journal look then it does now?
So, what do you think? Can we use this service? Please let me know in the comment below.

Tags: Photos

Views: 105

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am really interested in this concept and am glad you shared! I am thinking about how I could run with the idea of students journaling about the day's ShutterCal picture. Do students journal on the site or would they have to journal elsewhere? Is it possible for more than one person to journal about the same picture? I like the idea of using journaling as part of a writer's workshop. It may be neat to give students the option to write about the previous day's ShutterCal photo instead of a writing prompt. They could respond as a person directly involved with the picture that was taken, a bystander who observed the person, object, or situation in the picture, or describe what they think the picture is about if they are unsure what it is related to. I would probably have the calendar projected for students to look at and have them respond in their journals/notebooks. Have you used ShutterCal with your students? Did you have to get parent permission to post pictures on a website? Is your ShutterCal completely public or does it include privacy settings?
Love the idea!

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service