School, Library, or Organization Name:

Varsity College Cape Town

Co-Presenter Name(s):

Area of the World from Which You Will Present:

Cape Town, South Africa

Language in Which You Will Present:

English

Target Audience(s):

Tel (Technology Enhanced Learning) leaders, HE educators, High School Tel leaders

Short Session Description (one line):

Understanding how the pencil metaphor fits in with technology adoption for teaching in the Travel and Tourism faculty, and being a Tel (Technology Enhanced Learning) leader in an HE College, that has leadership in teaching as a strategic position.

Full Session Description (as long as you would like):

As a lecturer who has been using technology in the classroom for several years now, I found that the students engaged with the content far more than when I just talked and used the white board.  However, being given the position of Tel leader at our campus, I have found that the pencil metaphor to be so appropriate.  I first came across this metaphor in an article written by our National Academic Manager Anne Whaits, where she had read a blog by Associate Professor Wheeler. The metaphor was originally designed and discussed by Lindy McKeown.

This metaphor, in my experience is probably the most appropriate one, where I have found the responses of various lecturers fall into every single category of the pencil.  My methods of driving adoption have ranged from providing support in basic technology to introducing Course Sites.

In the presentation, I would like to discuss what I have been doing in the class room, and how as Tel leader what methods I have used to drive adoption whilst knowing that there is a chasm between the early adopters and the early majority, and all the challenges, successes and barriers encountered.

Websites / URLs Associated with Your Session:

In progress, will be completed by the 21st of April.

Tags: 2.0, 2012SLS, aids, blended, class, education, higher, in, learning, room, More…technology, the, web

Views: 1358

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Anne, I was so excited that it was accepted.  I will make sure the URL and details will be made available as soon as I get notified by classroom 2.0. 

Thanks for the support and input :-)

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2018   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service