Answer the following questions in order, using complete sentences and correct diction. Support all answers.
1. What is the tone of the overall essay, and how do you know?
2. How would you describe the author's attitude, or tone, towards the "old ones"? In contrast, what is his attitude toward young people of today?
3. How does the grandfather change toward the end of his life?
4. Anaya's grandfather is inderectly characterized in this essay. What do you learn about his character, from the diction the speaker uses, to explain the grandfather's words and actions? List at least three adjectives that characterize Anaya's grandfather.
5. List three "life lessons" that Anaya learns form his grandfather and decide how he learns them (hint: one was learned when Anaya stepped in an ant bed).
In the essay " a celebration of grandfathers", the author was trying to prove a point and i believe his point was to remember and respect not just your grandparents but all your elders for one day one will miss them,they will be gone.
The author was brought up as a respectful child.To respect his elders. the author today now tries to teach young people of our time to do and be the same,respectful.
the granfather,in his older age of course begins to become weaker and cant work or probably think the way he use to. however 'this process is something to be faces, not hidden away by false images.
Wise strong loveable.
one lesson was that dying is something that must occur in a persons life when his grandfather said "death is only this small transformation in life"
he learns that he has to learn english to be in america or he will not succed. "you have to learn the language of the americanos"
the last was basically know youn place in this world as a child by saying know where you stand.
1.) The tone of this story is like an flashback scenery .. where this man is remembering how things used to be with his grandfather.
2)His attitude was older since he was an older guy so he acted mean and he was starting to get ruder the older he got.I think he would be even meaner to the younger generation.
3.) He was nice at the begning but as we got to the end he started to get mean .
4.) I learn that the grandfather used to be nice until he got older and couldnt do much for hisself then he started to change. his adjectiives are grumpy .. loving and mean
5.)she learned to take life little by little.
be greatful for each day
and love your family
1.The overall tone of this essay seems to be reminiscent.
2.The speaker seems to feel quite fond towards the older people of their family but also a little meloncholy at their passing.
3. The grandfather grows more impatient and his expectations get higher. He seems olmost mournful over his lost youth.
4. Anaya's grandfather was a wise man. He was also strict ,but was kind in his own ways.
5.Anaya's grandfather teaches her to watch where she treads, that one should not just wish for something to happen but do anything they can to make it happen, and that death is a part of life... death is just a small part of the cycle of life. It is not an end but a potinetial for a new begining.
1) I believe the theme in the story is to be respectful. We need to learn about respect to our elderly and to listen to their wise words.
2) He thinks we need to learn how to respect our grandfather and listen to their guidance. We never know when is the last time we will ever see them and to let them know how much we care for them.
3) The grandfather starts to relize he is not the young and strong man he once was. He tells the author he went from strong to weak but he never lost his pride.
4) I would say he is a wise, in control, and proudly man, he knew what to when something went wrong in the farm. He said good advise when one was to give up. And even thought he knew he was getting old he always looked up and never lost his pride.
5) "Know where you stand", "Respect the elders", "Always be proud of who you are" this 3 life lessons are what I learned from the book, These days we all try to be a person who in reality we are not. We need to learn were we stand and we need to listen to our elderly for they are the people with the best advice. They know how the true colors of the world are and how we can prevent for something in the future to harm us.
1. The overall tone of the essay was reflecting the author is sharing his experiences and in a way making us reflect over the things we do now and, make it seem like we should start acting with respect towards everyone, most importantly our elders.
2.I would describe the author's attitude to be grateful toward the "old ones" for everything they have done for our generations and everything they have taught us.In contrast his attitude towards us young people is more of disappointment, he doesn't agree with the way that we treat the "old ones".
3.At the beginning of the story the grandfather seems to love life and be happy, but toward the end he seems tired and angry,but either way he was happy to have lived the life he did and be able to arrive at his age.
4. I learned that Anaya's grandfather was men who didn't show much of his emotions, he was quiet but always knew what to say he gave Anaya's good advice which made him seem wise.
three adjectives that describe him would be ,Wise, Loving,and Short(but still strong)
5.One of the three life lessons that Anaya learned was when he stepped on the ant pile and his granfather said "Know where you stand",by this his taught Anaya to be careful and always know what he's doing. Another life lesson was when it wouldn't rain and his grandfather told him to "pray for rain" by these he taught him to believe in god and that praying will hepl him in life. The third life lesson would be when his grandfather told him "Ten Paciencia" he told him to have patience he taught Anaya not to give up and have patience,he will always need patience during harsh times in order to overcome them.
1. The tone of the essay "A Celebration of Grandfathers" is affectionate and thankful since Anaya's grandfather was a very big role in his life and he learned so much from him.
2. When the author says "old ones" he is referring to the elderly, but his attitude referring to his words is proud and grateful for the elderly, but his attitude towards young people is curiosity since he said "how would my grandfather's generation live in our own?".
3. The author's grandfather thinks negativity by the end of his life because he couldn't take care of himself anymore, he had to be cared for as if he was in his childhood once more. He told his grandson "I didn't know i would grow this old."
4. By the way Anaya's grandfather was characterized you can tell he was a smart, and experienced. That is how he had great advice and knew what to say, but you can also learn that by the way the author describes him. Three adjectives that describe the authors grandfather is wise, caring, and a leader.
5. The frist life lesson that Anaya learned was when he was little and he stepped into an ant bed. His grandfather told him "Know where you stand.", but Anaya learned from this incident by going threw the right paths and knowing what places to go and not to go. The second life lesson is when they were going threw a drought and Anaya wanted it to rain, but his grandfather just said to pray. The third life lesson is when a young man died at the village by being dragged by the horse, his grandfather told him "Think of the death of the trees and the fields in the fall. The leaves fall, and everything rests, as if dead. But they bloom again in the spring. Death is only this small transformation in life." Anaya learns from it by knowing death is another part of life that we will one day go threw, but they will always live in us.