Most of you have been early adopters of e-technologies in the classroom. Unfortunately, I suspect that you are greatly outnumbered in the profession by those who consider the use of newer, especially Web-based technologies in the classroom as a nuisance opposed to their established teaching practices. To what degree do you see yourselves as "evangelists" for the new perspective and practices espoused by Classroom 2.0?

From a wider social perspective, does it concern you that very few African-American educators are members of Classroom 2.0? Does this reflect, perhaps, how "digitally" divided our school systems across the nation have become based on class differences? Perhaps, Classroom 2.0 might discuss how to use the newer technologies to connect teachers and students in our better-funded schools with their counterparts in underserved American schools.

Is a discussion of using new ICT technologies in our schools to help connect Americans across digital (and other social) divides a conceivably promising one? What do you think?

Tags: digital_divide, educational_priorities

Views: 49

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

As education funding tends to be a real desert, being the "evangelists" or voice crying in the desert does seem to fit the bill. Change comes from shedding light and the willingness to share ones expertise to those with an open mind that are willing to try new things for the betterment of their instruction and their students. I am impressed with the members of this community to share with others in their physical community and with some of us in their cyber community that are interested and are starting to find an oasis in a very dry and antiquated educational system.

Since this "community" is a world-wide one instead of a "national" one, I don’t think the “African” American comment is relevant. We have a wide variety of ethnicities represented in this network. We all are more interested in the “subject matter” (I hope) that dividing ourselves into subgroups that shouldn’t over shadow our interest in classroom instruction and promoting relevant learning experiences to help prepare ALL our students for the ever changing future that are heading towards.

I do agree we have a digital divide. In resent courses, I have research the digital divide to some degree, but find that it has many branches. Technology has the potential to be an effective bridge in the divide. The great educators here are wonderful bridge builders.
Skip,

I think equity is a huge issue when it comes to technology and therefore, socioeconomics plays a role in who has access to computer equipment (that has upgrades and is not stuck with Win98 and a phone connection to the 'Net, if any) and professional development. In our area of Western Massachusetts, I am overseeing a big blogging project with rural and urban schools, and equity and access is a point we come back to again and again.

I think your question about who is here in this forum is a good one, and one that schools in general face. Why doesn't this site have more diversity? And is diversity necessary? Maybe one movement is to show how technology can lead to social change (if we agree that is possible) and that might attract a whole new realm of teachers to the fold who otherwise just see "technology" as computers for word processing. And the bigger the stew of teachers, the more diverse the people (I would hope).

Thanks for the question. It's an important one.
Kevin
I think your topic here was right on target and that this kind of forum at Classroom 2.0 is the exact place where these conversations should be happening. If we are not thinking about these issues, then who is?
Kevin

PS -- I echo you on the connectedness of experience through technology and the hope that this will allow people to better understand the lives of others outside of our comfortable circle of friends and community.
Being non-american, the thrust of the question dealing with connecting socio-economic groups in America is not a high priority for me. It does present an interesting educational paradox for those involved and would be of some interest to follow but maybe it needs to take place in a subgroup since, as Cerese points out, this is an international gathering. Having said that, if it were in a larger context,like discussing how to achieve greater equality for all children and teachers, then it could be applied to most national settings. If it is to be limited to American schools, then you will limit those who can, by the nature of their experience, contribute to the discussion.

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service