Hey! I've got my first classroom job! A small private school with 10 students or so in 5th and 6th grades.

We have wifi access but only old donated monitors now -

I'm looking for ideas for the cheapest coolest most versatile tech to propose!

Anyone using the new HP $500 laptops for classrooms

Tags: -6th, 5th, computers, grade, technology

Views: 80

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Congratulations!!!!!

Think about all of the great things you will be able to do with a small number of kids.

Cant help you with the rest but wanted to send congrats.

Heather
Hi Melinda,

Congrats on the new teaching job. You can pick up a Mac Mini from $579, although you still have to supply the mouse, keyboard and monitor. (You appear to already have monitors though.) These little rippers come included with some seriously creative software for organizing photos, creating movies, DVDs and custom music. Worth a look. Click this link for details. Good luck!
Hi Melinda -
I have a couple of suggestions that you might try (without really knowing what your plan is for the computers).
First, make sure that you check with any local businesses to see if they'd be interested in donating used equipment. In our state we have to pay to dispose of old cpus, monitors, etc. - so the company I work for donates these materials to non-profit or youth organizations when we upgrade employee hardware. Network through parents, family, friends and anyone else you can think of - you'll be surprised who might come through for you.
If that won't get you what you need, check out sites like NewEgg.com and look for deals. The HP laptop you mentioned is on the site along with an ACER for similar cost. It appears that the ACER has much higher user ratings and better features. If you don't need the laptops, you'll get twice the computer for the same price if you go with a desktop. Have a rough idea of what you want to do with the machines and look for the computer hardware/features that will comply with your goals.
Good luck shopping!!
Thanks everyone- will be checking these suggestions out!
Congrats on your job! Which Hp laptops are you referring to? The HP 2133 Mini-note?
yes - I've heard they are not as good as promoted?
You've got everything you need - almost. I made this website about getting started with tech in the classroom for a presentation to upcoming teachers. Check out the "Equipment" section for all the tools you need to get going.

If you're interested in making a classroom website, I used synthasite to create the site above. It, along with everything else I mention in the site (aside from some basic equipment), is free.

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service