I would like to announce the launching of a new online resource for math teachers. Real World Math – Using Google Earth in the Math Curriculum provides lessons, activities, and new ideas that bring math instruction into this millennium. Intended for grades 5 and up, this material offers an Instructional Technology approach to learning. Google’s free 3D world of satellite imagery is used in active learning exercises designed to stimulate math students' higher-level thinking skills.

There are currently 20 lessons on the site and more to come with your help. Educators are encouraged to participate on the website's Community page by offering advice, feedback, or by submitting Google Earth lessons themselves. Please visit the site @ realworldmath.org and have a look. Help spread the word by recommending the site to others!

If you've been following the other Google Earth discussion on Classroom 2.0, you will remember that I wanted to bring more meaningful content into my math lessons. Thank you to all of you who added to that discussion and all of your kind suggestions. A little collaboration and some creativity can go a long way. Pardon my bias, but I think a lot of the Instructional Technology tools utilized by educators thus far have been linguistic in nature. Don't get me wrong, I think blogs, wikis, podcasts, and social networks such as this one are terrific, but they have left the math department a bit envious. This is one reason why I have created Real World Math.

And so, I would like to start a new thread of discussion based on my experiences constructing these Google Earth lessons and the website to display them. Primarily in the non-linguistic subject areas, how can we nudge IT experiences that way? How do you conceptualize, design, build, and promote content-based material for a subject such as Science?

Tags: Google Earth, gearth, math, online resource, web design

Views: 2784

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I looked at your project section on the realworldmath.org website and I love the Search and Rescue project!
Thanks Jill. The last time I did that project, we ended it with a field trip to the Coast Guard Station. We were surprised how close we were to the "real thing". We had a tour of their command center and they showed us the technology they use with their searches. There is an actual equation they use in their searches so that really matched well with the math. We got to go on all their search vessels also.

I'm sure there are similar methods to searches on land also. Perhaps the local fire department or police have resources you can use.
This looks GREAT. My 5-6yo math club is currently crazy about maps, map making, treasure hunting and the like. I was contemplating Google Earth for them, and here you are!

I would like to invite you to join the Math 2.0 interest group that tries to address the problem of the huge math lag in social media. We meet weekly on Wednesdays: http://mathfuture.wikispaces.com/events

Maybe we can make Google Earth a discussion topic for one of the meetings and brainstorm together for your site.
This sounds great and I plan to check it out and use it soon..... I like the Search and Rescue Project! Can anyone tell me if this is a good one to start with? or is there a recommended starting project for 7th and 8th graders?? Thank you for any suggestions!
It depends on how familiar the students are familiar with Google Earth and its tools. I gave some ideas on which activities are better for starting the year with in this blog entry.
This was a great site. I am looking forward to using Google Earth with my students! Thanks
I don't teach math, but I do work with math teachers who have ELLs. This site is amazing! I sent your link out to our AP to forward to the math and science departments.

Denise

www.ellteacherpros.com

www.teachingsuccesseswithells.blogspot.com

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service